Hinky Sway Bar - '70RS

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
small_IMG_4170.JPG

small_IMG_4177.JPG

This install looks very suspicious to me.
Is it as bad as it seems?
Advice on what to do?

New to me..'70RS. Has upgraded CPP front suspension and what it supposed to me a stroked 350....so, I guess what I am saying is that it is supposed to be "hi-performance". I wonder if this rear sway bar will just fall off under hard use???

Thanks for any insights this group can provide.

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
I'd guess it will likely hold OK, but if you have doubts, you can have that upper bracket welded to the frame to make it stronger.
Thanks GaryS! I had a similar thought. I don't have the experience to know if the frame rail will support it without additional bracing.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
It looks like the mounting hole(s) stripped out and this was someone's idea of a quick fix. 🤪

I don't think you will be able to use the mounting holes except for alignment of the bracket.

I would beat the frame flat (where the bolts pulled out) and weld the brackets, as Gary said.

Make sure the drop links are correct and everything will fit before you break out the welder.

I thought they might have lowered the sway bar (To clearance an aftermarket differential cover?) but that doesn't appear to be case.

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
Thanks Twisted!
I'll have to buy and learn how to use a welder first...or not :oops:. That's one skill I have yet to acquire. Friends that do, though.
Appreciate the input. I will feel a lot better having that squared up and welded.

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
I see from your photo that there is one over the pinion as well. Better order that one too just in case. btw....my car is stored 3 hours away so a little inconvenient to figure out what is or isn't there 🤔.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I loosely recall ADDCO having a rear swaybar setup like that in the 80's. It wasn't well-liked

PNW.Paul

Veteran Member
Feb 8, 2022
I loosely recall ADDCO having a rear swaybar setup like that in the 80's. It wasn't well-liked
Haven't figure out where this one came from yet. Need to check CPP since they supplied the front upgrades. I'm sure there is a better package available today. Thanks for the input..

Latest posts