Holley Carb... Gas pouring out of the Primary Vent tube.

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Camaro11, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

I have a '78 Camaro with a 350cid, Edelbrock intake and Holley 6777 650 DP carb. It started stalling random times yesterday. I pulled the air cleaner and sprayed Gummout on the linkages, choke plate, and air bleeds.

When I went to start the car gas literally shot out of the primary vent tube. I'm talking a 2" high shot of gas. Since I had just shot the gummout into the carb, the car didn't start, but I have a feeling that a 2" high blast of gas is not normal. I hit the starter again and more gas poured out of the carb.

Could this be a stuck float ? The car is NOT a daily driver.

2. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Maybe trash in the needle. Good thing about a Holley is needle screws right out the top. Pull it out, clean it.

3. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

This should be in the engine topic,but I think you have dirt,debrise,or some other junk In the needle seat. I would pull the front bowl,and see what's going on.

4. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

Sal, (et al)

I kinda figured that trash was in the system. Either that or the float is stuck.
    It was impressive to see the gas just squirting out of the vent tube.

5. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can always try my quick ghetto "rebuild" (works great on Q-jets where pulling the needle and seat out is a pita).

Pinch off the fuel line, start the car and run the carb out of gas. At this point the float will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the needle will be clear of the seat. Release the fuel line and crank it over. The incoming rush of fuel should clean any crap stuck in the needle & seat.

6. deputyrob

deputyrob Veteran Member

remove fuel bowls, replace needle and seats, inspect or replace floats. fun for all.

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow a holley leaking fuel.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Holley had some problems in 2004 to 2006 (estimate) with vendor who cast their bowls. I had same problem, pulled float bowl and found metal of the bowl peeling off in layers, this was jammed up against float keeping float from going up and shutting off fuel). Called holley, (go to Holley web site for their phone number)had to send them my old carb to verify it was one of the problem carbs but a week later I had a brand new shiny 750 for no $$$$, I was just out the cost of shipping my old one. I didn't have a receipt or anything as tyhis carb came on a car I just bought last Nov

9. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

sounds like a stuck float to me. a rap on the side of the float bowl with the heel of a big screw driver will usually unstick it. if it happens repeatedly, I would take apart and inspect.

10. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

ditto this, try this first......just dont beat the crap outta it to hard ......