Holley fuel pressure?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980camaro355, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 1980camaro355

1980camaro355 Veteran Member

OK.. I had an issue with a Edelbrock 600 on my 72 Monte. . found out I had to much pressure. I had 8-9 psi with stock mechanical pump. I put a regulator on it and have it a 4.25 psi. runs great now

Now , on my Camaro is a Holley 600, #80457-10

Is there a pressure limit to this carb??? And/or what should I set it at?

I have never had to use a regulator until this other issue but now want to make sure Camaro has one now.

I tried to call and email Holley and never got a response:dumper:

2. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

I believe it is 5.5 to 6. I would wait to see others answers. This is what I have used with results.

3. 1980camaro355

well.. I just ran into another issue I think. I just tried to start Camaro..

She turned over and BANG..out the tail pipe. Then re tried to start it and poof..flame in the carb...

WHAT THE ,,,,,,,,, could it be

This car has run good until just now.. Been sitting for 2 weeks since last time I drove it with no issues

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Hopefully all that happened was the distributor moved on you or something. Anything other than that would fall in the "bad" category.

5. 1980camaro355

BAD??? category???? I just pulled the plugs...they are soaked with fuel.. distributor is tight and hasn't moved. Turn over with no plugs and I hear spark in plug wires..

going to reset choke after I look it up on line how to

6. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    Sounds like your floats are too high or you have dirt in the needle/seat assembly. If the car was running well before, the second is more likely. do you have a good fuel filter in line before the carb?

The needle assembley is easy enough to remove and clean. Pull it out, counting the threads to get it close when you put it back together then use the sight plug to do final adjustment. Use spray carb cleaner to squirt out everything and then compressed air to finish.

As for the initial question, Holley carbs are less sensitive to fuel pressure than the Edelbrocks. Most mechanical fuel pumps put out 6-7 psi, I would try to regulate yours down to a bit less than the 8-9 psi you cited. Good luck.

7. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

You aren't using an electric fuel pump w/o a regulated are you?

8. 1980camaro355

OK... found 1 issue. Electric choke was sticking. I adjusted it to be open and car runs good. still not sure which vacuum port on carb to hook up vacuum advance. holley 600 model 80457-10

I am still going to put a regulator on it.. It is a mechanical pump but with the issue I had on my Monte Carlo with mechanical pump pushing 9 psi which was to much for the edelbrock 600, I put a regulator on it to 4.5 psi and it runs great.

I will do it to Camaro just to be sure.

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

The Holley should be fine with the mechanical pump, no regulator should be needed.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

6 is target for holley