Holley sniper & distributor

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by vince72, Aug 27, 2020.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Hey Guys
    Is it work getting holley distributor over the regular HEI when swapping to fuel injection?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have an Edelbrock EFI setup that came with the distributor, so I didn't have a choice. It wasn't that big of a deal. From what I've heard and read, get the system running first with the HEI, then install the Holley EFI controlled distributor. I'm certain some real time users will chime in shortly.

3. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

I just replaced my MSD Billet ready to run with the Hyperspark. The car was acting up and locking out the IAC, cutting in and out, and I eventually tracked the issue down to the distributor and top inside coil contact. I really wanted to upgrade and let the Sniper control the timing anyways. It solved ALL of my issues and the car runs even better than with just the EFI and my mechanical dizzy. Post after post with Sniper EFI issues like mine were solved by going with the matching ignition, and my story is another success in that aspect.

It is not much work to get a stand alone ignition but the Holley was super easy. It has a clear cap to phase the rotor after you plug it in at TDC. If you do not have a CD box, you will need to wire up the coil driver that came with the Sniper.

4. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Great, I ended up ordering the distributor, ignition box & retrofit fuel pump. I know there is more cost effective ways but my goal was to have the easiest swap possible.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Buddy just did a 67 GTO....same way. Sniper with fuel pump retro kit. NOTE: had to add a return line to the tank as retro kit only had outlet and VENT nipples. Car has HEI and all went well...pretty straight forward....till he forgot PONCHO's dizzy goes CCW....lol

6. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

vince72 i have the same set up Holley sniper, hyperspark and retrofit pump on mine got about 200 miles on it with no problems and runs good. Hardest part was where to mount everything and run all the wiring to keep the interference down (away from plug wires).

7. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Arm2004 any pics on how you set everything up?
    Was it all worth it?

8. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

The hyperspark box and coil i mounted on pass firewall that allowed me to run all the wires away from plug wires. Mounted relays on pass inner fender well and cross the sniper wires over with heater hoses. So far i have not had any problems with the set up and runs good. For me it was worth it, my wife drives it some and she is no expert on starting a carburetor motor when it is hot, cold, or warm. The problem i see with it is if you want to tinker with it you have your work cut out. I am a more put it on, set it up, and leave it alone type of guy.

Attached Files:

9. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

Also if you want to save a little money Holley has refurbished snipers for $799- same warranty new wires and sensors. They sell fast, from watching them they list there new stock on Monday morning and they are mostly gone by Tuesday morning. Also plan on spending a extra $100-150 or so on other parts- air cleaner base, fuel fittings, throttle brackets other odds and ends. i was using a 4150 carb and most of my stuff would not work on the snipper ( air cleaner base, throttle brackets and fuel hose/fittings)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fue.../sniper_efi/factory_refurbished_-_sniper_efi/

10. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Funny that you mention it, I ended up purchasing the refurbished unit. What are you doing for fuel filters, and did you use your existing fuel line or upgrade? Thank you for the heads up on the fittings, cleaner base and additional small items. I will have to do some homework on all this also. I am waiting for the ignition box to arrive and but hollys tech support is not to fast and the online is horrible.