Holley Terminator X thoughts?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Jack Deibel, Sep 12, 2021.

1. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I've only done modded stock LS1and LS3 ECM's and the wiring harnesses from Speartech and Howell for my projects. Both auto and manual projects. Between my projects (8 plus my LS swaps and 6 friends LS swaps) Both have been great with after sales tech help. I came very close to using the Holley X on my 80 Camaro LS3/4L60E swap. I spoke to Speartech , Andrew70 and Howell and it really came down to my comfort level on my swap. I went with Howell. All will cost a fair bit more than some that you can buy on ebay. There is no chance I would buy an ecm and harness off ebay.
    I don't know much about FI Tech. They don't seem to get much love on LS1tech. Maybe because big cams and other stuff make tuning for the FI Tech needs to be done by a real tuner.
    I'm glad some has had good luck FI Tech.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  2. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Holley make a Terminator X that is pretty much plug and play for LS applications: https://www.efisystempro.com/terminator/terminator-x-mpfi-kit-gm-ls2-ls3-4.8-5.3-6.0-truck-07

Unique To The Terminator X MPFI Kit for GM LS2/3 and 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 Truck Engines 07+
    Holley provides many features unique to the GM LS2/3 and '07+ 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 Truck Engines that make this EFI system a breeze to install and configure and powerful to operate.
    • Direct-fit connectors for factory sensors
    • Connector for factory ignition coil sub-harness
    • Transmission harness for GM 4L60E, 4L65E, early 4L70E, 4L80E, and 4L85E transmissions*
    • Drive-By-Wire harness for GM LS DBW throttle body*
    • Choose from EV1 or EV6 injector harness
    • *Transmission Control Versions Only
    • *Drive-By-Wire Control Versions Only

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Not quite plug and play. The X has a built in MAP sensor or you can use the stock GM MAP. If you want to use the GM MAP you have to purchase a adapter from Holley. Not expensive about $28. The alternator wiring was a little confusing to me. Not plug and play like the "stock" aftermarket harnesses I've used in the past.

4. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

73 with a 2006 GTO engine and 4L65E swap. Sorry for the long read.
    Since I was working and traveling heavily and the fact I am a newby to EFI I had a local shop install the package with the original modified electronics. The car was running with the modified BUT every time there was a hiccup no less than $500 it would leave the shop.
    Can you say HOSTAGE?
    When I retired last year I purchased the Terminator X Max system and installed myself determined to be free from having pay through the nose to keep it running w/o issue.

Issues encountered:
    Had issues with the DBW, wound up changing the TB to cable.
    Injectors weren’t in the program, had to get specifications and use one from the menu that was close.
    Also needed different injector connectors (no charge from Holley)
    I used 2 oil pressure and temp switches so I could use the handheld and the dash gauges as needed.
    Replaced the alternator, the GTO alternator has built-ins making it non compatible
    I’m sure there were other issues but obviously not big enough to remember off hand.
    Conflicting information when calling Holley Tech, different techs had different answers / direction for same subject.
    Locating the ECU, lengthen some wiring and shortened others. This is on me, there are extenders available for purchase which then give you way too much wiring you need to figure out what to do with, personally wanted function and neatness. There are some runs (cam sensor for example) that are electronically insulated you are warned not to fool with and require extension purchase. Remember these are more or less “Universal” systems.
    Since the Terminator only comes with 1 Oxygen Sensor I do regret not adding a bong in both header collectors to be able to switch sides if desired.
    I have a Dakota Dash so needed the converter from Dakota and everything dash related becomes plug and play.
    Go on the Holley Forum for help if needed, there are very helpful members willing to help. Like any other sites there are those that have been doing this forever and will really piss you off.
    I was fortunate to meet a member that is very patient and helpful. He helped me dial in the ECU to maximize performance and willing to help get me up to speed understanding the system. Make sure you have a compatible laptop, I can log runs and send to the contact I have for analysis and changes, this has been a real game changer. I have a long way to go to understand how to tune myself but this system is VERY Powerful.

Go on the Holley site and review the manuals to determine if this something you want. Go on the forum and see what’s going on, you can pretty quickly see who to PM for help.

The only regret I have is I depended on someone else initially and didn’t go this route on the front end. I am sure there systems out there others are happy with but this is the only experience I can relate to. Hope this helps.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  5. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Thanks for the very informative post/reply.... I'll check out the Holley site/forums. I will say this after purchasing 5k worth of stuff from Holley directly, I get zero responses from my sales rep regarding questions I have into them... Maybe he's no longer with them... Just weird...

So, in the end, would you do it all over again? Your comment about your DBW issues give me concern being I have a DBW TB/engine now... I'm wondering if I should consider switching... can you tell me more about this?? Thanks... Jack...

6. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

The issue I had was i couldn’t get it to idle correctly, it could have been my inexperience and having just started it w/o any running time it could have been another issue.
    Probably the most aggravating issue with the system is you don’t know exactly what is needed until you get to that part of the install unless you sit down and take the time to read and digest the entire install before beginning. Who does that when you are under the impression it is plug and play. You may find out your MAF isn’t plug and play, you may find out your gas pedal isn’t compatible and you need another, you may find out your water temp and oil sending units aren’t compatible, your alternator……
    Get yourself a 1 1/2” hole punch (not a hole saw) and grommets to go through the fire wall, try and layout the harness layout before making holes in the firewall, it gets congested real quick.

Attached Files:

7. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Almost forgot, would I do it again, ABSOLUTELY especially since I now know what I didn’t know before. As I said previously I do not have experience with other available systems to say otherwise. If I was going to turn it into a turbo car r with hardcore racing in mind the Dominator would be the way to go.
    I am not a big fan of the single oxygen sensor but other than that the system is very tunable, if you know what you are doing. Me, I still depend on help from others and probably always will. Even if I felt totally comfortable making adjustments I would still get input from others.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  8. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Thanks for the info and feedback... Yeah, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff... I'll be hiring out help with the heavy lifting... I'm in the collection of parts/components stage so hopefully everything will work together... Thus the reason I was working with Holley.... Holley did mention I would need a gas pedal or part but I couldn't find the part number he was referring too... So I need to call em back Monday..

Do you have a build thread I could read?

Bswin likes this.
  9. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Not sure but the If you are also going for neatness get yourself various sizes of wire wrapping and shrink tube for ends. 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 3/4” and 1”.

Attached Files: