home AC repair replace?

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
have 28 year old home ac wont cool, topped off with Freon r22, which is going away and is expensive. lasted 4 days after refill. might be time to replace, what's out there that is good? with the cost of r22 I want to price a complete set up,but things have changed a lot since we put this unit in. any help guys?

70rs00z28

Veteran Member
Apr 16, 2002
Yankton, SD
I replaced my entire system about 4 years ago. Air handler, Furnace and outdoor AC unit. I cost about $8,500 and the new AC runs on R410A, The old units coming out were completely shot as I was going to use them for my garage. I am not sure why but I had to have a service tech to the house as it wasn't cooling and he said I was low on Freon and must have a leak. I trusted him as he showed me the gauge set and I have done some work with AC systems in the past. They ended up adding 6 lbs of Freon to my system after his leak search turned up nothing. The system held pressure and vacuum for twice as long as the testing procedure called for so they ended up just filling the system.

Best of luck with your system.

Coadster32

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
Milford,CT
Only 4 days...there is a problem that needs fixing for sure. I'm switching over to M0-99, (R-438 I believe), and going to use the same system. I have a 1.5 year leak, not a 4 day leak though. 25lb tank cost about $250, and you don't need a license. Should save me a lot of money, before one day I'll have to rip it all out. May want to find, and fix your leak first though. Good luck.

ol' grouch

Veteran Member
Jul 4, 2013
Evansville, In.
my system was getting old and I was worried about replacing it as it wasn't going to be cheap. A storm took the power out and when the power came back on, a combination of a power surge and elderly system took care of it.

aircon1.jpg

I had the choice or repairing it and pay the full thing where it would last maybe a year or let insurance replace it with a $1000 deductible. I let the insurance replace it.

Smokin'Joe

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
There have been many many advances over the past dozen years, so if your's is 28 years old. It's probably time to bite the bullet and get a new one. - You will see some return on your investment in the form of lower electricity usage/cost over the summer months, but it won't be huge.

There are lots of new models out there. - I just put in a new baseline unit to replace my 20 year old Rheem that was also R22. I was tired of fighting that one every summer with fan motors, low freon, hard starts, etc. I opted to put in a new one and be done with it. This new one was was a 3 -1/2 Ton 14 SEER Rheem and came with a new indoor AHU with 80% efficient Gas Heat, and a new outdoor unit. They put it in with new copper lines, new A/C Pad and a new electric disconnect and it was $5,500 installed.

They have even higher efficiencies of 16 SEER to 20 SEER, but the additional costs were pretty substantial and would have a pretty long payback, even here in Texas. - The A/C company tech said he installed a 20 SEER in his house which comes with a 2 stage compressor, but he said that system was like $12,000.

--

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
thanks everyone.i,m trying to get some more price info on new. with the cost of r22 100$ plus a pound a 28 year old system.it has been awhile since I messed with home ac stuff.so I don know what values are out there and quality.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
my system was getting old and I was worried about replacing it as it wasn't going to be cheap. A storm took the power out and when the power came back on, a combination of a power surge and elderly system took care of it.

View attachment 78915

I had the choice or repairing it and pay the full thing where it would last maybe a year or let insurance replace it with a $1000 deductible. I let the insurance replace it.
Yeah with that deductible, it is the smart way to go. Looking at your pic. You have to get out there more often and clean that thing out. I am on top of mine since we get roasted down here. My rheem unit was a piece of junk. brand new and Lasted 5yrs and 6 months. The 5 yr warranty did not cover a blown compressor. Just out of warranty. They wanted close to 2000.00 to replace. Up yours I said. I just got an entire Trane installed for around 3800.00. That was in Jan 2010. I hope I didn't just jinx my-self! LOL So far so good.

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
get a Trane unit, they are really nice, however, do your shopping, and talk to the companies, and see what they have , and what your needs are, get the house properly sized, and maybe , depending on your home, look to see if two zone , will be an advantage as well , and the big plus would be finding a HVAC company that you trust, to do the work, and to evaluate your homes needs.

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
28 years.....you got your moneys worth. Just research the different brands people quote you on. There are brands like Goodman, and there are brands like Trane, and the prices will be noticeably different.

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
If your AC is 28 years old, it is costing you more $$$ in electricity and constant repairs. I had a 30+ year old unit that ran all the time in the summer. Finally got a new one on a 5 year payment plan. Electric bill instantly cut in half in the summer.
I added an electrostatic filter which really helped our allergies and the house only needed dusting half as often. You can use the cheapest filter in the return air too.
Get a new one, you will not be disappointed.
I got a Trane.
Never go with the "bigger is better" idea. It has to fit your home so it can cycle properly for maximum efficiency and longevity.