Home made transmission fixture

JONESYFXR

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2009
BUFFALO, NY
Ok guys, I was looking in my shop the other day and saw my three TH400's sitting on the floor. I grabbed one and monted it to my engine stand by the bellhousing. I called up my transmission builder and told him to come over and take a look. He said that's a great way to mount the trans, but if you want to rebuild it you have to use a transmission fixture. He looked at my welder and some steel I had laying around and said,"Dude, you should build one."

This is what one looks like if you buy it.

transfixture.jpg

So I woke up the other day, grabbed my coffee and went out in the shop. I looked under my bench and located some scrap 1.5"x3" eighth in thick rectangular tubing. I looked at my trans and got some measurements. I cut the ends at 45* angles, but you could probably just square the ends.

The inner width between the legs is 9 5/8" wide. The legs are 12 1/4" long. and the overall width of the top piece is 15 5/8". Now it really doesn't matter what you overall width is, just that you maintain the 9 5/8" inner width, so you can slide the fixture over your trasnmission as shown below.

transstand.jpg

As you can see, the fixture slides over the top of the transmission with ease. Now, you have to make a way to hold the transmission in place on the fixture. So, I proceeded to drill some 1/2" holes into the sides of the fixture, 1" in from the end of the tubing. Then I bought some 5" long 1/2" bolts to go into the side of the transmission. I also bought some square nuts and welded them to the back side of the fixture legs.

Mytransworkmount.jpg

Last edited:

JONESYFXR

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2009
BUFFALO, NY
Now I had to figure out a way to mount the fixture to my HF engine stand. I was debating about making a mounting plate to bolt to the engine plate, but I decided to get some 2" black iron pipe. The OUTER diameter of the pipe if 2 3/8", and that's the same as the INNER diameter of the top post of the engine stand. I cut a piece of the pipe 11" long, I then proceeded to notch the end to fit OVER the rectangular tubing. I clamped the rectangular tubing to my work bench, using the 1/4" thick top plate as a reference edge. I then slid the pipe over the side of the tubing, making the CUT out part 4 1/4" from the TOP of the fixture. I then squared the end up with the edge of the bench top. I then burned it in using my Lincoln 140T welder.

Weldingpics007.jpg

Here's some pictures of the welds and the finished product. These are probably my best welds yet. Don't be fooled by the rust, I ground down ALL the edges and beveled them so I could lay a nice, clean weld.

Mytransworkmount003.jpg

Mytransworkmount002.jpg

Mytransworkmount001.jpg

I'm sure this steel is overkill, but it works perfectly!! I'd say if you were going to build your own, you could go with 2"x2" square tubing, just make sure you keep the INNER width appropriate to slide over the transmission.

Last edited:

JONESYFXR

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2009
BUFFALO, NY
kik_start said:
nice but when you make it stand up how does it hold in place or vertical?

You can see how the fixture is against the bellhousing in the pics. When you rotate it straight up, the bellhousing rests against the fixture...holding it upright.

I'll get some pics of the trans upright in the fixture.

Latest posts