Homemade Front Cross Member for Jacking?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by reinhardt79, Feb 24, 2019.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

My last thread was on the jack slipping off the front cross member and the full weight of the front end dropping on the crank pulley. The crank survived. I am on the road for work and sitting in my hotel have been pondering things. I plan to cut the car up quite a bit for racing, not concerned about originality. I am thinking about making a removable cross member that will 'click' into slots or holes in the frame rails and have a nub to sit in the hole on my floor jack. Thinking just forward of the crank pulley - would make easier to get it under the front end. Make the 'cross member' an attachment for the jack - couple wing nuts to hold it on the jack. Anyone out there done something similar?

I have owned this car for 15 years and have no intentions of getting rid of it. I want it to EXACTLY suit my needs. One of which is easy repair/maintenance access. I enjoy fabrication and machining, that's half the fun of this hobby. Some sort of positive attachment method to the frame on the front of the car would be awesome.

The other option I am kicking around is to cut out the middle section of the factory cross member and weld a couple pieces of dom beside each other an appropriate distance apart for the jack pad to 'bite' into. I have to pull the motor out this spring anyways.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm not one to be a fan of jacking the vehicle by the horns of the frame. I would however think "jack pad" locators on the appropriate spot on the frame couldn't be a bad idea. I think the newer cars have those from the factory...I think I have seen similar on C5s and C6s. That being said, never had a problem jacking my car nor ever an issue of it falling off.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here. I always use jackstands once it's up