hood gap

cisco 1

Apr 14, 2019
quebec,canada
i am stuck and discourage on my paint project .
hood gap at windshield section is thigh and i did fit fender doors gap , spend more that 100 hoors on those fakers and hood is thigh .
rocker , peeler , doors and 1/4 have a very nice fit and i di not want to open up fender .
i looking for option and idee .
cut hood ? bend center off hood 1/2 inch to get 1/4 lest wide ?
i am turning around goin nowhere with 3 bad hood starting to hate the complete car now
i try to call anvil to know if there fiberglass or carbon hood have thick sidewall so i can remove 1/8 each side maybe lest

fogot to say , 73 z28 LT going resto mod ls3 , flat hood only

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
Can you give us the measurements between the fenders starting at the windshield every 10 inches (254mm for you people from the north). If your subframe was not installed correctly you will never get the front fenders, hood to line up.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Can you give us the measurements between the fenders starting at the windshield every 10 inches (254mm for you people from the north). If your subframe was not installed correctly you will never get the front fenders, hood to line up.

None of the front end sheet metal is even bolted to the sub-frame….I need to see pictures of this issue. I cant visualize what the issue is.

Last edited:

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
The rear of the front fenders are bolted to the body, but the front of the fenders are bolted to the radiator support. The radiator support is bolted to the subframe. So if the subframe is not installed correctly the nose of the car will be off. You will see uneven gaps along the hood, tight on one side wide on the other etc. You need to get the subframe very close so you dont run into problems later. If you are seeing uneven gaps you have to check the basics.

cisco 1

Apr 14, 2019
quebec,canada
i need to open up the fender at the door for sure , but peler , rocker , 1/4 , door hare perfect . will try to put hood on and take picture .
i need to open up 1/8 inch each side . but i did put so much time making gap perfect , welding gap , bending fender to have the perfect shape and more .
Goldmark fender hare a pain in the ass to install perfectly , to make everything strait .

anvil told me the glass hood can be rework to fit perfectly .

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
Ok, you are installing a Fiberglass hood (sorry missed that part, my bad). Are the front fenders fitting well and its just the fiberglass hood giving you problems? Fiberglass almost always needs to be fitted to the cars. Cut, Shape, re-glass. They are a lot of work if you do not work with them a lot. Some parts are better then others and some people get lucky from the start, but I try and discourage off the shelf glass parts for the extra expense they add to a build. Forget my above posts, if your fender, door gaps are good then you will have to cut the hood to fit the car. If you have never done fiberglass work before I would take it to a shop that specializes in glass like a corvette shop or replace the hood.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
ok what parts are original which are aftermarket? could you post pics of were the car currently is fitted? door should be lined up to body first and then the front clip starting with fenders and when you get to hood the hinges to play a big part in up and down as stated earlier. i ended up loosening up the front of the clip to get everything were it needed to be (that included the core support)

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 39

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
The rear of the front fenders are bolted to the body, but the front of the fenders are bolted to the radiator support. The radiator support is bolted to the subframe. So if the subframe is not installed correctly the nose of the car will be off. You will see uneven gaps along the hood, tight on one side wide on the other etc. You need to get the subframe very close so you dont run into problems later. If you are seeing uneven gaps you have to check the basics.

The core support is sitting on rubber bushings, its not hard fixed to the frame. The hood hinges are bolted to the fenders, so regardless the hood is going to be inline with the fenders. Extreme case and there would be tapered gaps down the hood if the frame was wonky. There is enough slop on these cars to not need precision. That doesn't sound like the case here though. This is why the OP needs to post pics. Have no idea what the heck he's talking about with using the wrong word terminology to explain the problem.

Latest posts