Hood is Difficult to Close

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by MP81, Oct 10, 2019.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Ever since getting the car back in 2016, I've had issues with closing the hood. Always meant to post something to ask, but that never happened...

In order to close the hood, you have to slam it down from a foot or two open. Setting it on the latch and pushing down will not close the hood.

The panel gaps seem pretty decent when it is closed, but maybe someone will see something I am not.

The back right "pad" is missing, as well. I bought one, but it ended up being too small to slip over the end of the "bolt", but I did attach it to the top (I taped it, as it was only meant to be temporary...until I forgot about it), and it seemed to help a bit, but that could have just been coincidental.

Thoughts on what it might be? The area at the leading edge of the air induction scoop is one of the few rust holes on the car, so any time you have to slam the hood shut, pieces pop off...so I'd like to avoid having to do that, haha.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lithium grease on all of the rub points and pivot pins of the hinges will probably help. (If your hood is rusting, the hinges are probably a bit crusty too.)

After the hood moves more freely...
    Check for any points which rub on the latch assembly and adjust accordingly so the hood pin aligns better with the hole by the catch for the latch.

MP81 likes this.
  3. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does the hood pop like they're is a lot of pressure when you open the hood ?

4. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I doubt any of those things have been lubed in a while, but it definitely seems like it's latch-centric to the hood. It's not the easiest hood to move, but it does move.

It does seem like that a bit, yeah.

5. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

Enough clearance with the air cleaner?

6. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

As far as I know it does (stock intake). It does have air induction, so the seal should squish up to the hood a bit, but it's something that is easy enough to try with it off.

7. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I dealt with a hard to open/hard to close hood for years thinking the hinges and springs were just shot from being 40 years old. Finally sprayed em with some WD and whatdya know......

8. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I sprayed the hinges, the springs and the latch mechanisms all down with some WD40 to test, and it did seem to help a bit - what I can basically trace the issue to is where that mushroom-shaped-ended bolt that comes out of the hood (with the spring and the collar), that is where the issue is. Getting it down to where the hook latches isn't an issue, that has always been great, but getting that "mushroom" down into the latch seems to be where the problem lies.

I was actually able to push it closed with a little force, which is something I was never able to do, and I did it pretty repeatedly, but after a minute or two, I encountered a few times where I couldn't. So it almost seems like that piece isn't entirely lining up with the opening for the latch below for it to push down and grab, but I didn't shove anything in there to move it around and see. You can see where the round collar does sit, and it's not directly over the hole.

9. turbobuick

turbobuick Veteran Member

I had to oblong the holes in the latch on the hood to get it Centered over the striker between nose and rad support.

10. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

No direct experience with this problem, but a couple of thoughts:

If you pull the latch when the hood is already open, does it spring back closed easily? It may be this mechanism that is binding/weak, which is given a bit of 'help' when slammed.
    I think the 'mushroom' but is adjustable, does it need to be lengthened slightly?