Hood keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Ls3rs, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

My hood keeps popping while I am driving. Is there any type of adjustment in the latch?

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Yes, there is an adjustment. You can loosen the 4 bolts that attach the latch mechanism to the underside of the hood and move it around a little. Two of the 4 holes are slotted to allow for some adjustment. This method applies to early F bodies, later ones might have a different latch.

3. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Also may need to adjust the latch pin out, as it may not be inserting in the strike far enough to lock it down.
    hood latch pin.jpg

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Have you messed with it recently? For 40 years...the latch has been fine. I have only had hood problems with a I mess with the adjustments.

5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

/\/\ Two hits right on the nail. Something has changed or the spring in the lower latch has broken. Is everything lubricated?

6. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

Yes! The latch was removed for the paint work that was just completed.l, and the hood was reinstalled and realigned. Right now the latch is adjusted all the way toward the firewall. My first thought was that the latch would be taking the biggest “bite” in this position and I may need to elongate the Slots to go even further toward the firewall. Now rethinking, could it be too far back which is causing it to push partially on the latch and then when I hit a bump in the road it’s causing it to push the latch the rest of the way open?

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Yes, it's not fully catching on the latch. Small adjustments. A little movement goes a long way. Are the outer bumpers too high?

8. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

Should I make the slots a bit larger and slide it further back?

9. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

This is the only pic I have (I’m at work) but the alignment seems perfect to me, I don’t think the bumpers are too high

Attached Files: