hooker header don't fit

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by domz, Aug 17, 2013.

1. domz

domz New Member

Hi everyone im new to the forum. I am rebuilding a 79 Camaro and im having trouble with the long tube headers hitting the floor. They are hooker ceramic headers. Now I have searched this topic and have only found a few post were guys are notching the floor pan. I just want to make sure that its not something stupid like a motor mount causing this before I send the headers back. Thanks

2. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

First of all welcome to the site!! Lots of good info here on the forum. Make sure you set up a progress thread with lots of pictures of your build.

Before you go cutting or sending them back, check your subframe bushings. If they are old and squished, they may be causing your clearance problem. If so swap them and then try installing the headers.

3. domz

domz New Member

thanks for the reply. I have new body mounts and motor mounts

4. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Hmm.. i'm not sure what to think about that. A lot of guys on here seem to have good luck with the Hedman Elite Hedders. I'm using a cheap set of ceramic Flotechs and they've worked fine so far.

5. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Is that lower a-arm brace removed? If not remove it.

6. Shalamara

Shalamara Veteran Member

I used hooker headers on my 78 and no problems.

7. Odin

Odin Member

I had a problem with Hooker coated headers years ago. The passenger one pointed up toward the floor while the driver one was fine. We mounted it to an old motor in another car and bent it using a port-a-power and strap hooked to a truck. :) It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

I'm still using that header today on my 72'. The factory coating and the coating that we replaced it with was only slightly better than nothing. Maybe they've improved it over the last 10 years.

8. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    How far off are they? The QC on Hooker headers has been dropping off recently, but some have been able to make them work by massaging the floor pan with a BFH. I think others have heated them and pulled them down with some type of levrage in the collector end. Kind of sad that one has to do this, especially with what they cost. The problem with sending them back is that the next pair might not be any better. Good luck.

9. domz

domz New Member

The passenger header in just hitting the floor by a 1/8 in. like you said you pay good money for these and I don't want it rubbing on the floor nor do I want to start altering the floor pan yet. maybe I will try headman headers . thanks for your reply

10. L_celle

L_celle Veteran Member

I tried hookers on mine and they didn't fit. Try Dynatech Musclemaxx stepped headers. They make a set just for 2nd Gen Camaros.