Horrible acceleration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Ben Plunkett, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

Hey guys, as the title suggests, my Camaro has very little acceleration and it's most noticeable in first gear.

The car is a 1979, 350 engine, 4 bbl carb, 4 speed manual transmission.

I rebuilt the carb recently and I'm not sure if that's the issue, or if it's something else.

But in first gear from a dead stop, it's dangerously slow, basically crawling, to get up to second no matter how much or how little gas I give it.

I was hoping you guys might have some insight as to what might be happening?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

First, just saying a 4 barrel isn't helpful. What the carb actually is is what's important.

Have you ever rebuilt a carb before? Was it operating normally after the carb work and now has developed this? Have you looked at the fuel filter?

3. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  4. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

Sorry about that, it's a quadrajet (17059203) and it has a mechanical choke with a single pull off if that helps.

This is my first carb rebuild, it seemed to be working fine for about a week then I noticed these issues begin to start.

I replaced the fuel filter on the carb, as well as the spring and gasket, when I rebuilt it

5. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

Yes it is a quadrajet with a mechanical choke and one pull off. I have been having a lot of issues getting the secondaries to open. The fast idle cam will either jump into a high position, closing the primary choke plate and upon starting , drop into high idle and open the plate a bit but will not open into the fully open position on curb idle meaning the secondary lockout lever doesn't move so I have no secondaries opening. Or, the plate will open fully when the choke is adjusted to the leaner side but will not close or go into high idle thus not being able to start or run at high idle.

As for the linkage, I'm not sure if that's playing a part in preventing the choke blade from opening fully or if it's an issue with the choke itself

6. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

If the choke butterfly is not fully opening that will present problems. Is it getting proper heat? If not is there an issue with the heat riser valve closing? Is there any issue with carbon buildup in the intake manifold? If the heat riser won’t close those intakes plug up rather easily.

8. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

You can work on getting your carb running OR I have a NOS quadrajet 17058525 still wrapped in plastic GM packaging. Email me if interested.

MChamp likes this.
  9. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

that would be kool to have for sure..

10. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

It may well be a carb issue but it could also be a cam with a flat lobe, something that was an Chevrolet issue throughout the 70s.