Hot ignition Coil?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by EricsZ28, Aug 13, 2012.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What are the symptoms of an ignition coil getting too hot? What driveability issues will this generate? I'm referencing an external coil setup (non HEI / non coil-in-cap).

I'll explain more later...

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I had a new accel (junk) coil die on me. no spark, coil got hotter than hell - coil in cap hei. coil shorted out.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If the coil gets too hot, I would expect the coil to fail before it causes drivability problems. It is possible that the coil is partially shorted so it lacks all its windings. In that case, you would be getting a weak spark causing misfires, and with fewer functional windings, it would draw more DC current and run hotter.
    Make sure you have the resistor wire powering it to prevent it from getting excess voltage.

4. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks. The sudden failure is what I am thinking would be the case as well.

I've had a miss that has been getting worse. Coincidentally, I keep messing with one of my ignition wires. To me, this confirms that I should fix the ignition wire and rule out the coil as my next step. I believe the ignition wire has a poor connection - which is causing the miss. I've already ruled out timing, vacuum advance, and the fuel curve.

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

A bad wire won't generally hurt the coil- at least not for a long long time. But there's really no good way to test a coil except by replacing it with a known-good one and seeing if it makes any difference. Oh, and oil dripping out of the coil tower when you turn it upside down- that's new coil time, too.

When it comes to ignition parts the rule is if it tests bad, it's bad. If it tests good it's probably still bad.