Hot Rod oil from Lucas?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by tom3, May 17, 2020.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Yes, another oil question. Figure to run it a short while then change the oil. Looking for some oil that's actually has the correct additives for my old flat tappet small block. Bought some 5 quart jugs of the Lucas 10w-40 Hot Rod oil that's supposed to be the real deal. But after a lot of study I read that it has 2100 ppm of the zinc additive. Heavy dose of phos. too. Seems like a lot, near what break in oil has. Is this too much of the additives? Anyone use this oil for any length of time? Doesn't seem to be any 10w-30 or 10w-40 oils that actually have the needed additives, even the so called racing oils.

Getting ready to do some top end work on the Camaro. If I find some lifter wear while I'm in there I'll replace the cam and lifters, don't want to do this twice.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nobody knows what oil is best for an engine. The flat tappet cam engines were designed to run on oil with higher zinc than today's roller lifter engines. You get to make your best choice and live with it. I'm using Amsoil Zrod engine as it is designed for these older engines. Remember that there is no "best" oil.
    https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-zrt/

tom3 likes this.
  3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I used AdMax Moly when I raced a lot on the advise of our engine builder. He was a chemical engineer and a principal for making this oil for flat tappet cams. I'm having trouble finding it now, so good or bad, I use VR1. Haven't taken anything apart since I started using it and hope I don't have to. Have heard nothing but good things about Amzoil. Kid uses it in his Harley and race car. Don't know anyone using the Lucas, so keep us posted if you find anything. Honestly, I've never heard anything about too much zinc or phosphorous in flat tappet applications.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

If you google the Lucas stuff, there is consistently bad feedback on some other forums. Some of that feedback is likely just nonsense, but some of it is based on analysis.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1200 ppm is the min req’d. I would mix it with other 10w40 oil.

tom3 likes this.
  7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I've been using the Lucas Hot Rod & Classic high Zinc motor oil in my 71 with the flat tappet cam in in for 2 years now so far with no cam or any other motor issues. I only put around 100 miles on the car about monthly.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Too much zddp will wear out the cam and lifters.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

It also turns acidic if left in too long. However, as I said above, feedback can be very subjective and anecdotal. Of all the crap I hear about oil, I think the most important factor bar none when it comes to all the hand-wringing about oil is that you change it often. For the few bucks that it costs, even for the over-priced stuff, fresh oil trumps gimmicky claims and additives every time.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

That's pretty much my exact situation with my Camaro too. Most of the bad rep on Lucas seems to be with their oil supplement, and they really advertise it. Must be a pretty high profit bottle of sludge.