Hot rod's Drag week help

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 80'427, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

I wanted to do this is past year but things didn't work out but I am doing it in 07 hell or high water. If you don't know what I am talking about here is the link

http://www.hotrod.com/dragweek/hdrp_drag_week_2006_coverage/

Basicly this is a true test of your "street car" You drag race your car for the best time or closest to your dial in depending on the class then drive 500 miles to the next track in your drag car and do this over 5 days in total going 1500 miles. No trailers unless your car is pulling it. No support vehicles just you and your car. I think it is cool. So here is the questions. What would you bring along, what would be your guess at the cost and how would you modify my car to make it more durable within reason.

My car is a 80 stock body full interior, 10 to 1 427 with a solid roller (IN [email protected] .680 lift EX [email protected] .680 lift 108 lobe sept) Ported Ovals, Victor and 750cfm 4500.
    It has a super T-10 and a 12 bolt with 4.56s. The car doesn't have a bar and I don't think I can swing it before going so I am limited to 11.50. I know I won't win but I just want to say I competed, plus I think it would be bitchen just to be there.

So right now the things I have to buy are some kind of dot drag tire. I also plan on swaping off the drag tires and running a 235 75 or 31 10.50 to keep my current gears but allow a bit higher crusing speed. Right now I turn 3500 to go 60. The rpm doesn't scare me cause it will help oil the roller lifter better.

What would you bring? This is my partal list
    2 sets of spark plugs
    1 set of plug wires
    spare hoses/clamps
    5 gallons of coolant or water
    case of oil
    case of brake clean
    4 qts of 80-90 weight
    1 full gasket set
    4 tubes of rtv
    1 set of pushrods
    2 spare rockers
    4 spare lifters
    All my holley junk (gaskets,jets,power valves)
    Holley blue pump (have it laying around)
    fuel hose and fittings
    Electrical box with V.O.M. Wire and connectors etc
    Craftsman portable tool box
    cordless drill
    4 flashlights
    various bolts
    jack/jack stands
    Spare tire
    jump box
    sirius radio
    CB
    All my cds
    what else?

I guess I will need to pull a trailer.

2. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Several of my friends went this year. You are allowed to make a run to the parts store (most went very often!!!) so don't feel like you're not allowed to stop for oil, antifreeze, and certainly water (if necessary). However, like you said chase vehicles and a pit truck are certainly out of the question, but you can pare down your list to things required to get you to the store if you want.

Your current list is very well thought out, but you might be able to reduce some of it, like the coolant and oil a little bit if you want.

Other very useful stuff includes:
    • tarp (or several!)
    • poncho
    • spare fresh batteries for flashlights
    • cordless electric impact wrench
    • One of those 12V voltage probes with a light in it
    • lots of fuses
    • a big bag 'o wire ties
    • torque wrenches
    • an extra bottle jack
    • tow cable or strap
    • header collector and primary gaskets
    • combat knife
    • a few short pieces of aluminum tubing to make hose splices
    • noncontact temp probe
    • GPS
    • gas can
    • extra thermostat & gasket
    • extra lug nuts if you'll be swapping between street & race tires
    • fuel and oil filters
    • Motorola 2-way radios
    • cell phone
    • Extra axle if you have one lying around
    • Extra alternator and power steering belts
    Of course, it's a good idea to change your belts and upper radiator hose before the race/tour. Have fun!

3. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

Since you have experence if I get 2 buddies to go along am I going to get introuble if we travel together and help each other if we are all serious about competeing? I just don't want to get kicked out for helping a buddy get a fuel pump from a store or loaning him a jack if he has a flat. The reason for the oil and water is I live in BFE and if you were loosing coolant fast it may take 5 gallons to make it to the parts store.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would put a WBO2 into it OR get a weather station so you will have some kind of baseline to change your jetting with when you get from one track to the next. the EFI guys have a deffinate advantage here. If its gonna rain, take the O2 out before you get on the road & either put a plug in it, or in a pinch a spark plug will fit right into the hole. the rest of your list sounds pretty well thought out. 78LT made some good suggestions.

bob

5. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There was a lot of guys helping each other out on the side of the road and on the track. If all of you are entered in the competition, it's no problem at all.

They will DQ you if you have someone following you around with a trailer full of machine tools, but there was a lot of cooperation between contestants and it was pretty much given the OK.

Just don't expect to be able to swap engines at the track and claim it all came out of your trunk!

One of my friends considered going with his trailer in tow (pretty much a rolling machine shop) with his Duramax Silverado 2500HD, but it really wouldn't have been accepted. They watch pretty closely, and word gets around quickly if you're breaking the rules.

Good call on the weather station. That's a very good idea.

Another few items if you have any room left- don't forget a good set of drill bits, maybe a few extra grab bags of drill bits from Harbor Freight, and a good set of taps. Also, make sure you have teflon tape and/or plumbers putty, duct tape, coat hangers or bailing wire, Loctite red and blue, and even a 110V MIG or flux-core wire feed welder (and helmet, gloves).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  6. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

My buddy is going to build a spare 700 and put it in the trunk of his chevelle. If I pull my back seat and slim my list I maybe could get a lot in the car and go no trailer.

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I would love to do this when the kids are grown.

8. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

My mom left me a little money and I am trying to make 2007 a better year than this crappy one. My mom would kick my butt if she knew what I was doing, I am saving a most of it mom it will be OK.

9. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Drag Week is a blast! I was at both so far. This last year they tightened the rules quite a bit. My buddy with the turbo'd silverado pulled his car trailor loaded with pretty much his entire garage in 05. In 06 they had trailor size limitations.

Helping out fellow contestant is perfectly fine as long as you don't have a group of buddies going and you all carry different tools and parts intending to make them a community pool of tools and parts. You're expected to bring everything you think you may need yourself. If you forgot something or something unexpected broke, then borrowing from other racers is fine.

10. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

I saw some pictures from 1320 videos and think it is cool so many nebraskans went and even won. I think for the most part we will carry our own tools and parts. None of us have the same combo so parts trading will be limited anyway.