Hot spot device for internet while camping

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by John Wright, Aug 28, 2020.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know it sounds funny that I'm asking about internet service while camping out by the lake, but I have a college age daughter that still needs to access her work online and take quizzes and exams at regular intervals. With my son several years ago we were able to find a Starbucks and drop him off for several hours each day so he could get his work done. I'd rather find a prepaid internet card(no contract, pay when I need it) for a hotspot device vs using the data on my "company" issued cell phone.

Anyone have any experiences good or bad with the Verizon Jetpack Mifi 8800L?....or have a better option? I checked the reviews at the campground and everyone staying there mentioned that they had good cell reception using Verizon or AT&T service plans.

2. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your cellular plan has enough data, just use your phone as a hot spot and skip the extra device fee.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  3. John Wright

My phone is a company phone and they share the data plan between several company phones.....I don't want to be "that guy" who used all of the company data while on vacation.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I used a MiFi for a few weeks and it worked pretty good. Got a one month pay as you go plan from Verizon. Wasn't the fastest connection, but worked good for usual web browsing, searches, etc. It was LTE technology. My cell phone provider doesn't allow hot spotting.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

John

Your college aged daughter doesn't have a phone to use as a hot spot? If she normally doesn't have enough data, she could purchase more on an as needed basis when she needed it.

6. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

John, hot spots will work well if cell coverage is decent. The performance is usually plenty for things like working and school work. We have even streamed prime and netflix over them.

Now, we normally turn our phones into mobile hot spots, however we have the hotspot enabled in the truck, so my wife can work from the truck if she needs to when we are going camping or somewhere else several hours away

7. John Wright

I thought about that too. She does have a Straight Talk plan.

8. John Wright

I used my phone for a hotspot one year when my son was away with us camping and the admin at work asked me what the he!! was I doing using that much data when we have to share the data on our plan, so I didn't want to go down that road again...LOL
    My son was a music major so he had large up/down loads of video and audio, it ate up a bunch of data.

9. John Wright

It doesn't have to be lightening fast, just "stable" enough for my daughter to sign in and take a timed exam without an interruption causing her to not finish in the allotted time frame.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Stable enough may depend on how close the cell towers are. "Camping" can mean a pretty fur distance for civilization to some folks. The nice thing about the Mifi devices compared to tethering on a cell phone is you can get a high gain external antenna. A timed test would worry me and I would go online at the providers web site to see how the reception is around the camp site. Take this with a grain of salt as they tend to over-optimize their results. Might have to go so far as to visit there or reach out to members here who may be close by.