Hotchkis Rear Leaf 1.5 drop install

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by giggity, Feb 11, 2020.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Bought some front Hotchkis springs from member Huff...Got those installed.

Old Big block springs, new Hotchkis Springs
    20200418_174418.jpg

painted calipers

20200419_131905.jpg

big difference!!

20200420_203605.jpg

20200420_193220.jpg

20200420_193240.jpg

20200420_193419.jpg

AllensaurusRex and dave@ztech like this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Really nice work man. Patience and thinking through problems. Well done.

giggity likes this.
  3. JSS

JSS New Member

Very nice giggity ,I will be boing the same install, Hotchkis # 2408C Leafs, Right Stuff rear disc F70RD6S conversion plus 2 kit.
    (Worked with Rick L. Very nice guy) He set me up with MC prop v all hard lines F an R soft lines clips E brake cables etc. Now just waiting for US Canada boarder to open ,so I can meet a friend that built a 70 12 bolt for me. I am waiting on wheels an tires as disc conv. moves the wheel outbd. aprox 3/8 in. Thickness of rotor hat section, also purchased Cal tracs . Hotchkis subframe connectors we installed a month ago. So again thank you for the pictorial detail install.
    My 1st post on site, from my fone, dont use wife's computer, it's to smart for me.

giggity likes this.
  4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I just did subframe connectors too...

20200522_133031.jpg

5. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

nice install

6. JSS

JSS New Member

I was told (by Patrick at Hotchkis) "you will feel the seat of the pants different's", an you do. Then I installed the front sway bar , an the same you feel it. Waiting for there adjustable shocks to com in from Fox , then I order, very nice suspension components.

Attached Files:

giggity likes this.
  7. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Veteran Member

got the same hotchkis kit for mine as well as the right stuff disk brakes.
    overall what do you think of the fit of the brake kit

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

The kit required machining of the plate to get it to line up straight. The flange on the 12 bolt wasnt 100% straight, causing the rotor to be slightly off. I think the better way of doing these kits would be to put big ford bearings on ends, when you cut the ends off, it gives you a true flange to bolt to, you should not have to machine it.

Also the E-brake kind sucks, because I kept staggered shocks, the calipers were opposite to the shocks. the Drivers side e-brake was supposed to wrap around the axle, I could not get it to do that. I argued with Right Stuff over this , and they said " weve never heard of anyone else complaining about that" , after a quick google, I found several people with exact same issue.

20200315_163103.jpg

20200315_161129.jpg

9. JSS

JSS New Member

I am not superised on fitment of aftermarket products, with the computer age some are real good ie Hotchkis an others , but some to most are still in the stone age. Iv been messing with this stuff since mid 70s , an going into conversion projects , I take it with a grain of salt. I'll be doing same soon as I can get Diff

biker likes this.
  10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I kinda went cheap on it, and thats what you get. Part of my dilemma was wheels. If I had 18 wheels already, I probably would have bought a willwood kit, which would have cost probably in the 2000 range to change all rotors, calipers, and put a hydroboost on. because the rims where 15 inch, I was limited. So I went cheap because not many kits fit inside a 15inch wheel anymore, and maybe later after I get the car on the road and driving Ill splurge on a Willwood kit. And they claim the parts are compatible with a 78 trans am if I need to buy anything. It would be completely aesthetic though, the setup I have now should be plenty of braking for what ill be doing with car.