House drain pipe filled with mud.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FatnLow, Feb 23, 2014.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My kitchen drain has been damn near worthless for the last 10 years. It recently now won't drain for chit. I had a plumber come over to clean the drain pipe. It came back all mud within 10 ft.I've had foundation issues that required jacks. I used olshan. The plumber said it was probably my drain pipe washing out all the dirt under my house leading to foundation drop?

He recommended capping pipe and stack on that end of my house and installing a Saniflo. Another option would be get another contractor with camera and see what the damage is. I was looking at Sanivite.

http://www.saniflo.com/homeowners/sfa-product-line/pumps-for-kitchen-and-laundry-room/

All feedback welcome. I'm just unsure how much the Saniflo will hurt home value.

2. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

This just for the basement water? I only have a washing machine in my basement that pumps up to the sanitary pipe about shoulder height. If that is suggested for your upstairs water, I'm having trouble following you - because your new pipe should come out of your house under grade anyway.

3. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Buy your own camera and see what is going on. Wal mart has a cheap one that is decent. Plummer will charge 250+ bucks. The pipe is collapsed somewhere. A fix might be to have a sleeve placed into the existing pipe to solve the collapsed section.

4. FatnLow

1 story slab home no basement. The kitchen is on the end of the house. He wants to put the system under kitchen sink and run it up an over 20 ft to bathroom stack.

I'll look into my own camera. Thanks for feedback keep it coming.

5. dirtmod08

I'd cut a hole in the slab before I'd do that. You'll hear the pump run and water pushing through the pipes overhead every time you run the sink. The ejection pump sounds like a headache waiting to happen.
    I'm not just armchair quarterbacking either, I've been chiseling a trench in the basement to install a drain tile. I got water pressure under my floor last week. It was a mess vacuuming water all night Thursday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. marks LT

marks LT Veteran Member

I have been a plumber for 30 years and I would run a camera first to find where the seperation or colapsed section is and have them mark the spot and rent you a jackhammer and bust up the floor and make the repair yourself the pipe is either cast iron or if a newer home pvc

7. FatnLow

Thanks for replies. I've been having second thoughts on the pump scene. I looked for pricing on rental for camera scope.

8. dirtmod08

Use the pipe problem as an excuse to get a cool camera scope.:)

9. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you and I have similar constructed homes, and the same problem exactly, with the exception that mine is the bathroom sink, not the kitchen. Mine sucks because it's center of house, whereas in guessing your kitchen is facing out past the foundation. If yours is 10' out from a perimeter wall, could it be in the dirt?
    My dad is a plumber, he said the same; trench up foundation and replace pipe.

10. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member