How about this rear sway bar for my '81 Camaro?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by slayer021175666, Jan 19, 2021.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What type of mufflers do you run ? I have a 1979 Z-28 with headers and true dual exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers and stock exhaust pipes,. I run a factory style 7/8 rear bar and a Herb Adams sway bar mounts .

3. slayer021175666

Its the Jegs alimunized full dual setup. They warn you in the description that, they won't work with a sway bar. The path they take blocks the bar mounting holes in the body. I don't want to swap or modify my exhaust tubes and these CPP sway bars don't cost but about 50 bucks more. I think its a good idea but, I thought I better run it past you guys, first.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    It' s a pretty long arm (lever) running in front of the axle that way so I would think the bar would need to be quite a bit thicker to give the same result as a thinner one mounted to the frames rails behind the wheels.

Maybe not... It's just a guess on my part without knowing the actual dimensions and all of the physics involved.

5. slayer021175666

I really thought more people would have some knowledge about these, Terry. Do ya think I should repost it and make the thread title different?

6. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Hotchkis also made a couple types that didn't use the stock anti sway bar mounts on the frame rails and clamped to the axle tubes. One mounted to the floor pan where the rear seat belt mounts are and the later one attached to the frame rails somewhat similar to the CPP one. I may have pics in my photos from installs, will look when i have a few minutes.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think that’s the old addco setup that hooked to the rear axle. I recall it being an pita to install, but not why

8. slayer021175666

Lowend, do you think its a good one for me? I was hoping you'd chime in here. Thanks

9. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Probably the PITA recall because you need to drill 4 holes on each side for the early style to bolt the brackets to the floor pan.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

OP, what front bar do you have? sway bars kinda of work in unison.

Do the mount bolts go straight through to inside the car?

yes, the current hotchkis one uses the frame rails. it used to use the back of the floorpans but guy were tearing the mounts out when using sticky tires. My tires were not sticky enough lol. I put the retrofit in a year or 2 ago.