how big of a slick fits in a stock wheel-well??

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by BlackDog82, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jplace

jplace New Member

I have an 81 Camaro tubbed stock wheel well. I have a Good Year 31x14x15. It fit but when I did a burn out the left side rubbed on the front of the wheel well putting a gouge in the slick. I ended up cutting the wheel well front and rear to get the slicks to fit. Didn't want to do it but wanted to go racing. The car had a Hoosier Quick time 31x18x15 on it when I bought and it didn't rub. If that's the type of tire you want it should fit.

2. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

29.5 is tight and will probably scuff the opening. On my Firebird,I toop a hammer and tapped the wheel opening forward,then used a trans am wheel spoiler to cover up the work. It makes the fact that the slick sticks so far out past the rocker look more finished.

BTW,A the front of a Firebird wheel opening ends at the same point as a Camaro because the rockers are the same.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BlackDog82

BlackDog82 Veteran Member

31" x 14" would probably work for my application, a (very) mild SBC on alcohol:
    any pictures?​

funny you should mention the rear wheel flares

when the 1980 Z28 debuted, the first to have those (specific to the Camaro), I bought a pair, for 'someday down the road',
    and your post made me go looking for them:
    the car's been stored for most of the last 20 years, and when I opened the trunk, there they were, sitting on top of the OEM steel wheels,
    having the original Blue & White GM part-number stickers still attached​

4. strstk71

strstk71 Veteran Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. Infidel Camaro

Infidel Camaro New Member

I ran P295-50r-15s on my 79' ..looked great, but was close to the outer fender well..ran 5-leaf springs in the back for better height...Sarge

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

I borrowed a set of 29.5x10s years ago on Vette Rally wheels a friend was running OK on his Camaro. They grew enough on the big end to wipe the paint off the rear of the fender lip on my 78 TA.

If there is a radial slick in the sixe you are looking at they grow very little and you can run close to the fender edges.

7. fuzzy dice

fuzzy dice Veteran Member

I currently run 28x10.5x15's...I have run 30x9x15 DR slicks as well...we had to punch in the front of the wheel wells where the rear seat belts used to fasten to the body...my new 465 BBC may present some launch issues...if it does, I am going to look into Smith Racecraft traction bars...much more adjustable than the Caltrac system and $334.00 versus $4 grand to tub it...

Dead hook is dead hook so we will see shortly what will happen...I am told my new glide will soften the hit enough...this is mine and the slicks have 1/4 inch clearance from the leaf springs...

[​IMG]

Taken last Saturday...mine is hooking just fine with the small tires and glide...still tuning but getting there...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  8. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Mine is mini tubbed and I fit a 325 just fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013