How can I save a door sticker?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by pulpcowboy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pulpcowboy

pulpcowboy Guest

Have to replace a driver's side door and has the codes to the car on the sticker. Anyway to save it or just forget it?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You will probably damage it trying to get it off, but if you can scrape it off so it is basically intact, you can send it to ECS Automotive and they can reproduce it for you. They are a little pricy, but with the VIN on it, duplicating them without the original might some day have issues. Then put on the new one and keep the remains of your original one.
    http://www.ecsautomotive.com/

3. pulpcowboy

pulpcowboy Guest

Wow, what a great site, never knew of them. Since it has to come off anyway will send them the old one.

4. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

I saved my original by laminating a thin layer of 3M clear plastic film (can't remember the exact product) over the tag and then removing it whole. Worked well except I forgot to take a picture of how/where/what angle it was originally on the door edge ...

5. 70 LT1

70 LT1 Member

I have heard that using a heat gun on the backside will sometimes remove the sticker. Have not tried this yet though.

6. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

The sticker on my Citrus Green 71ss is very brittle and already missing a corner. So I'll get the reproduction version but keep the original sticker:

[​IMG]

7. kevin chamier

kevin chamier Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

heat gun might be walking the fine line of good or real bad results. the sticker might bubble up before the adhesive goes. try the heat gun on a old inspection sticker or something similar . how hard is it to get a fresh razor blade under it? then try and get some detergent to work in underneath:bowtie:

8. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

hmmm, the point is being missed somehow

as I stated earlier, apply a thin laminate over the sticker so it does not fall apart ... then do your removal tricks

9. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used a straight edge razor blade to remove mine, took some paint off with it but it came off completely intact.....thou, it was 20 years ago!!
    Not sure if i'll reuse it but I was able to reproduce my own by scanning it and playing with the color shade in Photoshop to reproduce an exact duplicate.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. RICARDO1969

RICARDO1969 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

use a cut off wheel lol!