How concerned should I be? (long)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SpeedAddict02, Mar 24, 2015.

1. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It appears that the concrete blocks on each side of the doorway (and maybe exterior corners) were never poured solid. When you see the stairstep cracking, this is a giveaway. You could knock a hole up high with a hammer a pour them yourself. It's too late for rear but I would prefer to have them poured.

It almost looks like the exterior cracks have ready been patched before?

And Motion nailed it I think. Heaving due to freezing.

Get a gallon or two of asphalt sealer with the nozzle tip and fill all visible cracks in the driveway and the joint along the house.

I would fix the gutter drain if you think it is leaking below grade....especially if you have a basement.

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The deck definitely heaved up. Can see it clearly in this pic. Look at the right side.
    [​IMG]

Could it be possible, that when the corner post supporting the deck heaved up, it put enough pressure on the block wall to cause the cracking b/c as you can see in the pic, the corner/side that came up, is right by the door.

I just gotta figure out a good way to disconnect and detour that gutter drain for the time being. Once I know when I can take some vacation time, I will borrow my FIL's John Deere, break up the blacktop, dig around the perimeter from that door to the front of the garage to that retaining wall ( I guess that's what it is in the last pic up top) and out to the steps where the other broken drain pipe is that obviously also heaved up before we bought the house. And see what's going on. I will definitely bring this thread back to life with pics at that point and look for pointers on fixing the drainage.

3. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

I will be honest with you from right down the street. I have seen my house do things this year that have never happened before. I have been here 15 years. I think you are right on with your evaluation. First things first.... get the water away from the house.

4. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can call a plumber (or rent?) to borescope the drain so you can dig and replace the damaged area vs. the whole thing.