How do I remove the hood trim by the cowl?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by legierk, Jul 27, 2016.

1. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Title says it all. I would like to remove it without damaging it. Is it glued on. It is really tight on there. Thought about getting a small screwdriver started underneath it and see if that will begin to pop it off. That's the only thing I can come up with.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It is simply pressed onto the hood. The trim holds itself in place by clamping down on the hood edge.
    To remove it, you push it back a bit at a time across the entire trim piece so you don't kink it. It comes off relatively easy.

3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Drop the screwdriver and step away from the car sir. Definitely don't do that you will scratch the hell out of your hood, just take a paint stick lay it flat on the hood and tap it off with a hammer

4. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

LOL....no, no no. This hood needs to be STRIPPED, yesterday! LOL. It is a true 80 or 81 Z28 hood (with the working cowl mechanism, which I really don't know how to hook up, BTW). It is rusting and I need to get some epoxy on it ASAP. I have it sitting outside on sawhorses now and am just waiting for a "little" less humidity to strip it all the way. No dents though, so that is good. Trust me when I say putting a screwdriver to it will not harm it....LOL. I got the hood for the car I am putting together for my son, who needs transportation. I may update my project thread with a few pics now that the fresh 305 (BONE stock) is about ready to drop back in.

Thanks for the help.