How do you choose who does the paint and body on your Camaro?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by thedog85, Jun 25, 2020.

1. ericmeyer

ericmeyer New Member

My high school had a vo-ed auto body and collision shop and I painted two cars back in the late 80's early 90's. I still own both of those cars today (a 69 Chevelle Malibu and a 1970 RS/SS396) I was going to be a mechanic but the counselor at school said "with those grades you need to go to college" So I went to Pitt for a mechanical engineering degree and started my career in the automotive industry working on valvetrain development and failure analysis. Good job for a kid hotrodder. Throughout the years work left little time for me to tackle full paint jobs and I had an above average number of cars painted because my wife is an hotrod enthusiast too. I used a number of shops mainly because of the backlog in the shop, I didn't want to wait. Some shops were fantastic while others had the glitz and glam but fell short in every respect. I was tired of paint jail. I was tired of a more lucrative job pushing my car to the back burner. I was tired of horrific rust repair methods. I was tired of finding my well preserved original interior nearly ruined by filler dust. At some point, I changed jobs to get more family time. As the kids got older, I found time for me so I went back to school to get a degree in autobody and collision repair. Then I started working on hotrods again, for a friend, and then his friend, and his friend, to the point of no free time again. So I quit my job and I am opening a 20,000sqft custom car and restoration shop. I will pick up and deliver clients cars from all over the country. In my shop, there is no paint jail or late model collision work. More lucrative work doesn't change DSC_0078.JPG combo rendering.jpg
    the priority in the shop. I take personal responsibility in delivering cars on time and on budget. You might not need my shop today or ever but check it out on the website or on Facebook and come back often. I have a monthly newsletter that you can sign up for on the webpage. I don't do driver quality paint, only show quality paint. But show quality paint doesn't have to cost a fortune or your retirement, or take years to get done. I use PPG Deltron line of paint unless you want a color from the Vibrance line or House of Kolor. We do everything in-house except for upholstery and I have new and top of the line equipment.

PS to you guys in the 'Burgh. I grew up on McMurray Road in Bethel Park and I go back from time to time.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Good luck on the hot rod shop, it’s a tuff business. I live in South Park about 5 minutes from McMurray Rd.

ericmeyer likes this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Beautiful shop. Where are you located now? I have a collision shop in Elizabeth. I like the "Blue Collar". It's a Burgh thing...Let us know when you get into town.

ericmeyer likes this.
  4. ericmeyer

ericmeyer New Member

Thanks! I'm located in East Leroy, Michigan, southwest side of the state. I'm minutes from I-94 or I-69 and an hour north of the Indiana turnpike.

xten likes this.
  5. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ericmeyer Nice Shop, Do you own the bricks or lease? As long as you do quality work and don't make promises you can't keep you will do fine. Its a tough and competitive business, finding people who love what they do and take a lot of pride in their work is not easy. When you do get the right group of people treat them right and you will succeed. You will never get rich doing this but you will have a lot of fun. All I have ever done is the body and paint part of a restoration, I can't be bothered with the assembly part. I'm going in early today to paint a 70 Monte Carlo SS I spent a month blocking straight then I'm taking a much needed vacation. I will be alone with no one around and no distractions. This is the part I love. Good Luck...
    Mark

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

best of luck, i just finished spraying mine at home in the garage lol BASF all the way on mine been in business for over 40 years got tons of pic from build work on in my free time getting there should have finished this year

Attached Files:

7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that's the reason i got in business pics from 2008 Chicago Auto show I did when working at Navistar did in 5 days prep ,spray, cut and buff other techs r and i'd parts

Attached Files:

bodymanbill likes this.
  8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Mine has BASF on it too. It laid down as pretty and clean as you could ever ask for even though it wasn't painted in a booth. Mine is Astral Black (a few oz of blue to add depth). It's as good as any show car job I've seen.

9. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

How does one choose? CAREFULLY, the Z/28 has been in paint jail since Labor Day weekend 2018, looks like parole will be soon. Wish you much success with your new shop, if you do all work to match your own standards, your customers should be happy!