How does a reclining seat work?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by RickM, Jun 16, 2021.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

I have done a lot of research but I can not get a clear picture of how the reclining seat option hardware does it's job.

Does anyone have a clear picture of how it works? The 81 fisher body manual shows it for other models but not the F body and I am certain there is little similarity between them.

The bolts that support the upper frame on a non-reclining seat, as far as I can tell, would not let the seat go back any further. Are those bolts removed with bolts in another location?

I am just curious if someone can enlighten me. I know how most everything works on these cars but this is a mystery. I dont have this option and I know sourcing the original hardware would be a stretch but am wondering if somehow I can convert my car to recline similar to the factory. I know some of you guys have this option maybe a picture of how it works?

Thanks
    RickM

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

These 2nd gen Camaros only had a little cam mechanism on the seat pin/latch area which allowed the seat two different positions when in the upright position.
    (Not folded forward.)

It's not a true "reclining seat" it's just two settings which aren't all that different from each other.

Not a common option to find on these cars so sourcing the pieces would be difficult and probably not worth the time/expense to modify your current seats.

3. 2Gen Z28 #1

2Gen Z28 #1 New Member

For guys who are a little taller, this extra few inches of reclining makes a world of difference. If you know what you are looking for and look hard enough, you can find all the parts necessary to make your seat into the "reclining" seat. I have done this twice now on 2 camaro drivers seats.

Attached Files:

4. wks70-81

wks70-81 Moderator Staff Member

5. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

From what year is your assembly manual from? Tom

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

I have this option on my 79Z. It doesnt really recline the seat that much