how many here do pre-trip inspections of your Camaro's or other vehicles

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, Sep 2, 2013.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this is in response to the other thread about the wheel coming off at speed

when ever i'm getting ready to drive my Camaro even if it was just a mile to a store and back i will walk around my Camaro and do a pre-trip inspection ea and every time i drive it ..

1] visually inspect the tires for defects

2] visually inspect and grab ea lug nut and check to see it is tight not loose

3] look for fluid leakage underneath

4] since i rarely have the hood on i will also visually inspect the engine and look for leaks ,check belts and check electrical wires and spark plug wires for damage

5] inspect lights and make sure they're working properly especially at night time

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do proper maintenance and I don't think you need to check every little thing every single time. Your list seems a little silly for a daily driver IMO

3. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DD's- check tire pressure and bulbs weekly, once a month check fluid levels and belt conditions and wheel lugs.
    Toys- above before they go out on a cruise (once or twice a month).
    Anything out of the ordinary is corrected immediately or as soon as possible, unless it is a safety issue such as brakes, tires, then the vehicle is grounded until repairs have been made..

4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I look for leaks on the floor,and every other trip I check the lugnuts with a torque wrench.I didn't check so often with the steel z wheels,but I feel the need to check the aluminum cragars.

5. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do. Air up the tires, check the fluids and 02 sensors and off I go.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Before hitting the road, I check fluid levels and tire pressure. The rest of the things get taken care of on my routine maintainance schedule.

7. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I built my car from scratch, I know where I stand.

8. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with OP walking around any 40 year old car before going somewhere is not a bad idea. Especially if your car is an all original survivor type with all old equipment , gas tank, lines, fuel pump, water pump etc.

Camaro I kinda trust they are pretty well designed for everything except "RUST", not an old Corvette though , There could be a puddle of anything laying under that car at any moment.:)

Damn cats have got in the engine bays of several vehicles over the years

I tend to walk around once before starting out , and carefully listen to drive train as I back out of the garage and driveway. Study the gauges before moving out.

I don't trust fan belts today , they seem less than well made....the big modern belts (serpentine ) style I trust more.

Checking visual water, oil and tires and for liquid under car good practice I think.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. 77z28327

77z28327 Veteran Member

My Camaro I'll pop the hood and look it over and check the oil, It is a hot rod that is ran hard so you never know what could happen, it's worth 5 minutes to check then to get a few blocks and have something happen. My daily's I just give a walk around and look for puddles when I pull out, thats just something that my dad always told me to do, you never know when a someone will park a bike or something else behind you.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

please i know every inch of my car . i just noticed one if my exhaust manifold bolts is loose .