How many of you...

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Have stopped driving your cars as much due to gas prices?
Here in CA we are at 4.61 a gallon... it's at the point where it just isn't as fun to drive it at those prices... and I know.. I better get used to it.

I don't use much gas on my daily commute. I drive a PHEV which goes about 51 miles on a charge.

For the 68, I put it away for the "winter" because I need to swap the axles out due to them being bent(I just swapped out a 3.08 open diff to a 3.73 posi and it sounds like woahba woahba on the freeway at 60+) so I am annoyed with it. I am going to swap over the axles from the other rear when I get a chance.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
For me, not at all actually, it's a long winter up here in the great white north, and by the time February comes around, I'm going stir crazy !!!.

Here's a pic of the last time I got fuel, the conversion of Litres to US Gallon states I paid $6.68 per US Gallon.

So my $30 Canadian Peso got me 4.49 US Gallons. It gave me 94.3 more miles of highway fun LOL.

Fuel cost oct nov. 2021.jpg

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Don’t really drive a whole lot less. It’s 17 miles to work and 17 miles home. That’s not going to change. We have always tried to plan or group trips together like I go to the grocery store after work while I’m already in town instead of making a separate trip into town. Aside from that the work car gets driven a lot more frequently than my pickup even though I’d rather drive the truck it’s a thirsty b**** and the Grand Prix gets 2-2.5 times as good mileage.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Only $3.19/gallon for 87 octane, here.

The pandemic and working from home every day has greatly reduced my driving.

I bought a different car in February and have driven it less than 3000 miles in that time.
My Camaro has only been out of the garage a handful of times this year.

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
Life is too short (and northern winter too long) to not enjoy driving my cars because of gas prices. Most of us will piss away more money on worse nonsense without offering it two thoughts. Gas is never going down in any meaningful way. If that influences you to not drive your cars, I will happily take them off your hands (at significantly cheaper-than-market-prices, of course!).

Last edited:

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
No change at all. I mostly work from home now and drive to work once a week which is a 75 mile round trip. My wife drives five times a week to her work and it's a 15 mile round trip. It helps that we both drive Hondas. We drive the 73Z every weekend for a 25 mile round trip. So we save gas money during the week and happily spend it on the car that means the most to us.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Life is too short (and northern winter too long) to not enjoy driving my cars because of gas prices. Most of us will piss away more money on worse nonsense without offering it two thoughts. Gas is never going down in any meaningful way. If that influences you to not drive your cars, I will happily take them off your hands (at significantly cheaper-than-market-prices, of course!).
That is true.
I guess I should just drive them more and not think about what else I could have done with that money. The biggest thing is I like driving them hard.. and with the way people drive around here I can't do that anymore.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
New question; at what point would you stop driving the car?

I like driving my 75 more(big block 6 speed). I have the other car "put away" for the winter as I said because I like the 75 more. If gas hits 6 bucks a gallon, I think I will put it away too.

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
At what point would I stop driving the car? Hmmm. Let's just say not because of gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. That's all part of the hobby, which is an expensive one to me at least. Pleasure and pain, lol.

I remember my dad telling me an analogy of a guy who walks into a Rolls Royce dealership and asks the salesman how many MPG one of their cars got. The salesman said if you have to worry about gas mileage, you can't afford a Rolls Royce.

Latest posts