How much does a rearend weight?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by badazz81z28, Sep 12, 2005.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I think I can get way with shipping a rear fedex ground if I pull the axles ship them seperatly. That is if the rear weight is less than 150lbs W/O axles. Anyone know its weight? Thanks!

2. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can lug a differential around without axles & with the gears still installed, so I know it can't weigh more than 150#. Just did this a few weeks ago. I can still lug it around WITH the axles and backing plates installed, but it makes it a hell of a lot harder.

3. Daniel

Daniel Veteran Member

4. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

The 250 range is pretty close. I shipped one a while ago by FedEx Heavyweight. I left the axles in, and put all of the Disc Brake components in a box. I then had everthing banded and wrapped onto a Skid.
    Using FedEx Ground will be cheaper, but I don't know what their weight limits are. Check their Website to see.....

5. badazz81z28

How much did it cost you?? Fedex ground has a 150lb limit for a bussiness delivery. When you say skid your meaning wooden pallet?
    Thanks

6. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Yes, a wooden pallet is what I used. The cost is going to depend on where you are shipping it to. If you go onto their site and go to shiipng/get rates you can get a close estimate. I sent mine from PA to MO by 3-day freight. I think it was around $160, but my place of work gets a volume shipping discount with their account.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The rear end even without axles will be considered "oversize" and will have a surcharge on top of the weight charges.

Be careful when sending things via Fed Ex Ground.

8. badazz81z28

Who has resonable freight rates??? Fedex and UPS both around $400!!

9. midnight motor

midnight motor Veteran Member

I think it depends on who's rearend we are talking about

------------------
    Ass, gas, or grass,no one rides for free

My project 79'

10. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Go to a truck freight place.
    I shipped the back end of an IROC - 180# of steel from Atlanta to Chicago. One shipper I used once wanted $180 to ship it. I went down the street to another place and they took it for $40. Their terminal was in chicago. It went by air too. It stayed in chicago and the other fellow picked it up.

If you want door to door service that'll cost a lot more.

Bring the thing down to: BAX, ForwardAir, Roadway.... and ask them "how much to get this to <general destination>". Then ship it from the cheapest place. Whoever's getting the rear end will need to go pick it up locally at the terminal.

I had the same thing with a 1980 nose. The place that took the steel wanted $150 to send it, but another place threw it onto their truck and told me to give them $20. It depends on where the thing is going, and if the other party agrees to pick it up at a terminal, not have it dropped off at their house.