How much does paint really cost?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RickM, Nov 21, 2019.

1. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My color was a stock 2010 Mazda color,with one of the more expensive pearls removed.PPG,it was 600 a gallon,just for the base.

2. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

if he has used a system stay with it i would base clear ,he could pound on clear then cut and buff and make it sweet. PPG is not what i use but they are a good quality product. cost wise depends on local jobbers. as far as paying its your car and you should pay for all of it.think about it! i have been on both sides.been in business over 45 years,currently doing mine in top line BASF i will not quote what i have in materials(alot)! i would be insulted if a customer said he would only pay half for paint (i guess i will only do half ass job). sounds like he is doing satisfactorily for you, follow through!

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. hubedobeedo

it's all in the chemical make up,past BASF TECH!

4. hubedobeedo

yes you do get what you pay for !all name brand systems have good products as long as they can go from bare to clear cost it out ,prep is a major key to all systems.remember the finish is what everybody sees first!

5. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

Best to stick with ppg because if something happens he will say I told you so. I Think if you upgrade your Ppg , pay all the difference from what he was planning on using to what you want.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

BASF is what we used on mine. Toyota Astral Black. Man it laid down great.

7. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

If i remember right my ppg paint was approx $600 a gallon.

8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Industrial enamel 30 a gallon 35 for polyurethane converter.
    Thin with gasoline or Toluene.
    I have got the paint for 5 a gallon for mixed that was bring back colors.
    My favorite is Rust-oleum camo paint. less than $50 to paint a car that includes paint sand paper and tape.

I suppose the Oklahoma camo paint job may not look good on some rides.
    upload_2020-2-20_16-13-13.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Went with BASF Diamont on the 73Z for the 60 Light Copper. Gold in the sun and copper in the shade. Two paint jobs in one.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. John C Walsh

John C Walsh New Member

If you want some baseline numbers for PPG, figure a gallon of DBC color in green is between $300 to $400, a gallon of urethane reducer is between $150 and $200, and a gallon of decent clear and a gallon of clear activator is probably around $300. So, somewhere between $800 to $1000 for PPG basecoat/clear coat system. If you want to save money and have at least as good if not better outcome, use PPG DBC base coat (not the Omni stuff, it has very little pigment and you need to spray more of it), and Southern Polyurethanes (SPI) Universal Clear. SPI is half the price of PPG and might actually be better. The guy who makes it sells direct. It's the best clear I've ever used. You can also use SPI urethane reducer with the PPG DBC basecoat. In other words, buy a gallon of PPG color and use all SPI reducers, clear coat, and activator if you want to save a few hundred.

Here's their website if you want to check it out: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

You can also call them with any questions. You'll either get the owner or his assistant, and they're happy to help.

Don't buy cheap lines of paint like Omni, or cheap brands like Nason or HB Body. They look okay, but typically don't have good UV resistance. They also tend to dye back (shrink) over time and get a shriveled up appearance. The cheap colors need more coats to cover, which means you have to buy more paint and reducer than had you just went with the good stuff.

Hope this helps.