How not to make HP with a 427 BBC

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I did use the bigger oval port intake (air gap), I also tried the Weiand peanut port intake dual plane intake and it worked really well 11.70's as I remember. I did try a ported oval port Strip Dominator but only got a couple of runs that day so the evaluation was not done. Will try it again with my 360 peanut port heads on the next 468. Oh ya, I did use one other single plane intake, it was the Procomp Eddy copy. While it did work pretty good the Air Gap was a touch better. Pretty much a toss up on those two. I have not used a square port intake on an oval port head since the late 70's. When I did the engine pretty much stalled out at 5K, put the old canted Torker back on and it would pull right up to 6500.

2. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I give you props.
    Unfortunately often people's eyes glaze over when you try to give them specifics, I would know, I try to do the same when ever selling stuff;
    It's the listings with very little info that seem to pique the most interest, and often people want to feel like their getting a deal over knowing the details.

1980RS likes this.
  3. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I wouldnt use rectangular port heads on any 427 that wasnt 12:1 . 7 1/2:1 would be fine for a blower motor but thats about it. Who knows what it was built for originally. Could have been a blower motor that someone pulled the blower off and put a manifold and carb on.

4. Z-Life

Z-Life Member

The engine will make 600HP on top fuel nitro for about half a mile, there I fixed it for the guy(snicker).

5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

To the guy that took the heads off--leave the rockers on or at least two of em so you can grab it by them:)[/QUOTE]

When I know I am pulling a head I remove all head bolts with rockers still adjusted. If you can get to the head bolts that is.
    9 times out of 10 the head will lift off the gasket from the rockers pushing on the pushrods.
    No need for the hammer screwdriver deal between head and block.

cadillac_al likes this.
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I flinched too when I saw the screw driver and hammer...I was like really?!?!?

jeff swisher likes this.
  7. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

I have nothing good to say.

They did another 427 on spray, I wouldn't let them touch a lawnmower after seeing that video.