how often do u change ur oil and.....

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 79CamaroZ28, Dec 28, 2012.

1. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

What is acceptable in the filter when you cut it open? My 436 sbc has 3 oil changes and 2000 miles on it now and I'm still getting little stuff in filter. It's not magnetic and its not much maybe a little piece of alluminum dibris here and there. Motor previously ate a alluminum Timing cover and rod bearing and was washed out pretty good but you never can trust they got it completly clean. This oil change has 500 street miles on it with some out in the middle of nowhere testing. A little paranoid because its my first big inch sbc. What do you think??

2. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

i only change the oil in the camaro once a year , but i dont even average 100 miles a year right now

3. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless the engine was completely torn down after the cover incident and all the oil passages cleaned with a brush and solvent there still may be aluminum floating around. Use a filter adapter with a plugged bypass to allow the filter to catch all the particles.
    Mine is changed 3000 - 5000 miles, about 3 times a year. I use Wix (NAPA Gold) filters, Brad Penn oil and have never found any metal in the filter. The oil bypass valve was blocked off during the rebuild to insure all oil was filtered 100% of the time. If something does happen the debris should all get trapped in the filter.
    Daily drivers gets changed when the oil change indicator gets to zero. Wix filters are used and the GM recommended oils.

4. fuzzy dice

fuzzy dice Veteran Member

For the drag racers, I change mine every 70 passes....that's about 9 miles since I run 1/8 mile...Valvoline VR-1 and Napa Gold filter...

5. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Drag only 50- 70 passes and wix filter, royal purple 10 w 40

6. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

I do have a billet Canton filter adapter so no bypass. I'm gonna just run it, after talking with builder I'm just being paranoid.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL - same here...

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

My race car,I change it 2 or 3 times a year. I always start the season with fresh oil,and I change it about halfway thru the season. I put about 150 runs a year on it. I also have gapless rings and a vacuum pump,so the oil gets almost no contamination in it. I run a Moroso race filter with no bypass. If I had to worry about 1 thing,it would be condensation from short running cycles. The oil can be a bit clouded at times,but always gets crystal clear when the engine is hot. Even at it's worst the oil is still transparent. Too much condensation in the oil can cause the paper fibers in the filter to expand and cause restriction.

9. HOLESHOT

HOLESHOT Veteran Member

I change mine every 2 or 3 races so about 4 passes on a good weekend for my sorry but lol..I have a massive amount of blow by and oil gets nasty fast

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Time, miles, runs, etc.

3 months?
    3000 miles?
    X runs
    Y years?

We need a vote!