How to add a rear tail spoiler to a plain jane

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
I spent hours following these pages previous directions and pictures and after
drilling holes I FAILED to locate the spoiler correctly ...........
VERY Frustrating !!!!!!!!!

Scott Kiehne suggested I buy and use these..........
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/2344/=18z172q

These xfer screws replace the 1/4x20 studs.
After installing some or all of the centering screws
you position spoiler pcs where they fit best, fit correctly
and you tap the fiberglass piece with a dead blow hammer
and the centering screws leave an impression on the masking
tape youve applied on deck lid and qtr panels

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
Chuck, glad to hear the centering transfer punch screws worked, they worked for me and they eliminate the guess work. It's the only way to accurately located blind holes. Measurements will get you close but no guarantees unless you like oversized holes, which I don't.

74Dream

Oct 19, 2020
lastly.....

Here is where the holes will come thru on the bottom. The edge holes will be in the middle of the edge that wraps around. It is suppose to be there, it is the way it was done from the factory.

The other 4 holes will come thru right where the lid has cutout in place.

TLSb.jpg

TLSb1.jpg

TLSb2.jpg

TLSb3.jpg

TLSb4.jpg

TLSb5.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who is adding the rear spoilers to their Camaro. :)
lastly.....

Here is where the holes will come thru on the bottom. The edge holes will be in the middle of the edge that wraps around. It is suppose to be there, it is the way it was done from the factory.

TLSb.jpg

TLSb1.jpg

TLSb2.jpg

TLSb3.jpg

TLSb4.jpg

TLSb5.jpg

I’m in the process of putting spoiler on my 74, I love all the info, but I can’t see the pics. Any help with locating the correct position it goes would be much appreciated!!

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I’m in the process of putting spoiler on my 74, I love all the info, but I can’t see the pics. Any help with locating the correct position it goes would be much appreciated!!

don’t do it by measurements. Mock up the spoiler and mark the holes accordingly

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
Also known as transfer screws, these punches can be used in any threaded hole to transfer the hole location. Use the included handle to screw a punch into a hole. Place your workpiece against the punch and strike it with a hammer to mark the hole location. Each size comes with six steel punches that store in the handle. 16-punch sets include four of each punch size listed and a handle. The handle is only for use with the sizes in the set. Individual Punches Choose a Thread Size Inch 4-40, 4-48, 5-40, 5-44..

Scott K's above xfer punch suggestion is ONE of the best ways to accomplish this otherwise difficult chore

patroll

Veteran Member
Nov 23, 2009
Jackson,S.C.
lastly.....

TLSb.jpg

TLSb1.jpg

TLSb2.jpg

TLSb3.jpg

TLSb4.jpg

TLSb5.jpg

Hi, is there any way to open up the pictures on how to install a spoiler plain jane ?