How to add a rear tail spoiler to a plain jane

TommyRS70

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2004
KY
Anyone ever try placing a daub of modeling clay on the trunk lid at each stud location with a piece of masking tape to hold it onto the panel and preventing it from sticking to the spoiler...then push spoiler with studs removed into correct location, leaving an impression for a pilot hole. It's just a thought?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^ I've had that exact same thought.

A little smear of Vaseline on the spoiler studs would prevent it from sticking too.

Thankfully, the spoiler was already added to my car before I bought it so I never had to deal with this process.

1971CamaroGuy

LS Swapped 1971 Camaro
Oct 31, 2004
Anyone ever try placing a daub of modeling clay on the trunk lid at each stud location with a piece of masking tape to hold it onto the panel and preventing it from sticking to the spoiler...then push spoiler with studs removed into correct location, leaving an impression for a pilot hole. It's just a thought?
Yes, I did in my build thread, actually works pretty good and gets you in the correct spot https://nastyz28.com/threads/my-1971-ls-swapped-pro-touring-project.241037/page-18

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Clay is what I used. I would never use someone else's measurements...having seen how sloppy the factory did many of these spoilers. I removed the studs, made one hole. Installed the stud, the set out the other holes. Trying to do all holes at the same time is asking for one hole to be off by all so much and next thing you know, you have a 1/2" hole.

Latest posts