How to convert to a posi

matthamilton

Jun 17, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Hey, everyone can you give me some much need help???
well I have my 1970 Camaro stock rear end. I want to convert the limited slip end to a posi. Has anyone done this? where did you get the gears, ect. Summit? or what?? I want to do this next week and also I need new leaf spring bushings. I have 3 layered springs and need hew bushings all around. so where did you get them, whats the brand, and how much???

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
'70 could have a 8.2" or 8.5".

rears1.jpg

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
The 70 Camaro had an 8.2" 10 bolt or a 12 bolt. YOU have a 10 bolt.
The BEST way is to obtain a 71-81 8.5" 10 bolt. The 8.2 is a weaker rear end with a smaller pinion dia. The 8.5 is much beefier with the same dia pinion as a 12 bolt. That is why the 71-81 8.5" 10 bolt is well worth keeping and adding the gear you want and a posi.

You can get a posi from any 70 and older 10 bolt. You can get the gears from the local auto parts, a drivetrain shop, summit etc.
I'd suggest getting the 8.5 rearend, getting the gears you want and posi for it installed while it is still out of the car. Just get parts for a 71. So the autozoned-out people can look things up for you if you have to work on the rearend, brakes etc.

big gear head

Veteran Member
Jul 30, 2001
Ky.
There are several good places to get rear end parts, and Summit and Jeg's are not them. Tom's Differentials, Randy's Ring & Pinion and DTS are some good ones. They install what they sell and they know their business. You are going to need the limited slip differentrial (posi), gears and a very good installation kit. I recommend the Eaton Posi or Yukon Dura Grip, US Gear or Yukon gear and a installation kit with the super shim set and Timken bearings. Be sure to check the link that BonzoHansen gave you above.

matthamilton

Jun 17, 2012
San Francisco, CA
ok well I think I know what I have. now I cant seem to fiind anyparts. I tried Yukon but the site isn't working. and to be honest I don't know what Im really looking for that's good or bad. because I just want to convert it but with so many options I don't want to pick a piece of poo and have the gears fail on me and it be a waste of time and money. can someone show me the proper gears and yolk?? thanks or what my choices are. COC 2.73:1 is what my code tells me if that helps.

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
If you don't change gears, changing to a posi is a simple bolt in if you buy a shim kit to go with it. Put the backlash back to where it was orignally and you'll be good.

big gear head

Veteran Member
Jul 30, 2001
Ky.
Just don't get an Auburn. Contact Tom's Differentials in Idaho. He has US Gear, good prices on the Eaton Posi and the best installation kits. You can also contact Jim at www.jdrace.com for Yukon parts. He was my partner in parts before I closed my shop and he should give you a good price on the Yukon Dura Grip and everything you need.

Latest posts