How to determine proper sway bar end link sleeve length (lowered 82)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by onebad82z, Mar 10, 2011.

1. onebad82z

onebad82z Veteran Member

On page 10 of the 2010 Energy Suspension catalog it states:

"TO FIT: Vehicle must be on level ground (not jacked up) with wheels supporting it. Make sure stabilizer bar end eyelet (B) is parallel with control arm (C). Many times they are not. You may be required to use a slightly longer or shorter sleeve length than the original. Measure sleeve length (A) and compare to the chart to find the correct set."

I am trying to determine the best length sleeve to use on my 1982 Camaro Z28. I am using the factory 21mm sway bar on the rear of the car. The problem I am having is the eyelet (on the sway bar) where the end link bolts through is at an angle to the actual sway bar itself.

With the eyelet level to the lower control arm I need a 3-5/8" sleeve length

With the sway bar itself level to the lower control arm I need a 1-1/8" sleeve length

In a case like this do I make the eyelet itself level to the lower control arm, or the bar itself since their angles differ?

I have yet to check the front sway bar but from what I can remember the eyelet and bar are at different angles as well. Does the front get handled the same way as the rear bar?

I have had the end links in for years now and just discovered this bit of info from ES. Trying to go over the entire car and make it the best performing it can be with what it has. Car is lowered 1" with Hotchkis springs and the rear has LCA relocation brackets set on the middle hole to keep the RLCA level with the ground.

Also, what is the correct way to tighten the poly end links? I have read 5-7 ft lbs max OR just tighten them to the point you can just about no longer spin the sleeve with your fingers? Seems I have been tightening them like OEM rubber. No wonder the car pushes like a mother under power in a turn.