HOW TO KNOW IF AN ODOMETER HAS ROLLED OVER?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by BradyJack, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

The speedo is EASILY tampered with. I remember my cousin showing me how to take off the plastic alignment tab to "do it right" - 45 years ago, not kidding.
    I agree, no way to tell for sure, at all

2. PThomas

PThomas New Member

It's not uncommon for the entire gauge cluster to have been swapped out, and the odometer is part of that. It's a very easy project.

3. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

Agree with Twisted Metal, the condition of the pedal pads, steering wheel, are great indicators, no way to tell if the speedometer has been disassembled and rolled back, the thin plastic retainer (designed to break if tampered with) can be replaced. Of course all of these things can be replaced, which can hide the actual age.

4. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

My car has 99K and change I might drive it enough in 2 or 3 years for it to roll over to 0 miles will it become a new car? Most everything is new or restored, the steering wheel is perfect (a 70 wheel) and the pedals replaced, be hard to tell by most mortals, the back seat might give it away as that is original in all regards. And of course people that know what they are looking at could nit pick the restoration. If the car is nice and you like it who really cares how many miles. Truth is I'd rather have a car that was maintained and driven several thousand miles a year than one that has sat since it was delivered. Sitting is really bad on cars unless that is all it will ever do.

rgs

5. BradyJack

BradyJack New Member

Thank you.