How To Rotate Engine Thats Been Sitting

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by szalkuskt, Mar 28, 2016.

1. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

If you have an old distributor laying around you can make your own oil primer for free. Knock out the drift pin that holds the cam gear on, remove the gear, and it's ready to go!

2. 77Z28454

77Z28454 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had basically the same circumstance as you very recently. All my spark plugs were in but my engine was stored in a somewhat damp barn. I bought one of those inspection cameras used of craigs list ($40) and looked in the cylinders with it. All of mine were in perfect condition. I haven't started the motor yet but it's nice being confident the cylinders don't have corrosion.

3. szalkuskt

szalkuskt Veteran Member

i see. thats good to know. do any of you guys have examples of borescopes that you have used and would recommend?

4. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Don't get the cheapie from Hazard Frought, the tip is too big to fit through a spark plug hole. I found mine on sleazebay, it was one of the more expensive Hazard Frought models with the smaller tip that the guy bought and used once, I paid $80 and it works great.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

depending on the environmental conditions, it may just need an oil prime and go. Just because its been 8 years doesn't mean its frozen, ring rusted to the cylinder bores etc. I have seen engine sit for a month and get rusty inside. I agree, take a BS and look inside. If its clean, shoot some oil down there and rotate the engine to make sure its free.

6. 77Z28454

77Z28454 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The one I bought used is King Canada model KC-9050. I realize that doesn't help you much being Canadian but you can see the specs etc. If I was buying a new one I'd probably get one of the ones that attaches to a smart phone. They are inexpensive on Amazon and if you have smart phone it makes sense to me.