How to Seat Rings

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Led Zep, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

I am in the middle of a 383 build.Will be running a Comp XR294 roller,so cam break in will not be an issue.Was planning on using Vavoline 30W to seat the rings.Question,how many miles do I need to run to seat the rings before changing to Mobil 1 ? BTW, will be using Muscl Car Permatex nickel anti-seize on the new headers:)

2. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

Some people would say 500 miles, some would say 1000. Me? I ran my motor for about 30 minutes, changed the oil, and went racing. 10.90's - 11.0's on a fresh motor, no problem. Plenty of horsepower! :bowtie:

3. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

IMHO, if you have a good hone cross hatch on the cylinders and the rings are gapped correctly, they should seat very quickly. After my heads were on and I needed to turn the motor to set the valves, the air was really whooshing out the spark plug holes, and I could feel the compression.

4. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Sounds like he's asking about the swap to synthetic oil. Could be anywhere from 500 to 5000 miles. Best information I can offer, watch the dipstick, once you go from oil change to oil change without any consumption, you can swap to synthetic oil.

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You'll wear out your cam using Mobil-1 since it's a API SM rated oil as I did if you have a non roller motor.

Valvetrain wear is linked to the additive package. The current API SM oils (any brand) feature lower levels of Zinc and higher levels of detergents for cleaner emissions. These modern API licensed oils do not have the proper levels of Zinc for flat-tappet engines (race or street).:eek:

7. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

8. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

9. SKIP WHITE

SKIP WHITE Member

I would not use mileage as to when you should change. When your engine stops burning oil and the blowby, (excessive crankcase pressure) is gone. Mobil 1 seams to allow it's use much sooner than Premium syn. oils such as Amsoil. I can promise you that using Amsoil to soon, will cripple the rings and cyl. walls from ever breaking in. The best way as I understand it to be on seating rings is to keep load against the engine. This is said to push the rings against the cyl. walls with much more pressure than cruising at steady speeds.

10. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

Thanks for the input to everyone.So,use my ol trusty Valvoline 30W,say put 100 "easy" miles on her,then make a few back road passes and beat the snot out of it?That is what I have done in the past,and have never had a problem.