Howl in the rear... ??

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by fireforeffect, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

A chunk of metal? And they think it's the differential case? I would stay away from them. If they rebuilt the rear, what did they do, and how did they not bring up the diff case being sloppy then? Hopefully you get it addressed before you lunch the ring and pinion, among other things.

1970_Z28_503 likes this.
  2. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Veteran Member

They wiggled carrier when cover was off and said something about how it seemed to have to much play. I wasn't impressed to say the least, I a had already figured I was already getting a second opinion when they started talking. I had to call them back a few times to even get a quote and that isn't the way to get my business.

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Play in the carrier??? That can only happen if the caps are loose, carrier bearings are shot or the carrier is not shimmed properly. Before spending a dollar over there, ask them first what in their opinion is causing this play?

1970_Z28_503 likes this.
  4. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

I've also seen where the carrier ears where the bearings are pressed on are worn, then the bearings inner races rotate, and the carrier moves from side to side. They should have picked up on that with the rebuild. I wouldn't drive the car until this is addressed.

1970_Z28_503 likes this.
  5. fireforeffect

fireforeffect '78 Trans Am WS6

"Princess glitter"... is what I found on the pass axle when I pulled the bearing and race. I *think* I cleaned it all up and the diff sat open for nearly a month while I was doing the rest of the suspension work (indoors). Entirely possible I didn't get it all out. Dammit.
    And this is exactly where I'm at in my decision process right now. If I'm going to do the pinion bearings, I'll do the carrier bearings too and reduce the ring/pinion from 3.42 to 3.23 to bring the motor RPMs down slightly at interstate speeds when I replace the TH400 w/ the Super T-10 that's supposed to be there.

6. Dan M

Dan M Member

I have a similar whining noise coming from my posi rear after replacing a leaking pinion seal. When i replaced the pinion nut, I set it to the same position it was in when I removed it by marking the pinion and the nut and counting the number of turns to remove the bolt. Do you think the pinion bearing and/or crush sleeve need to be replaced? If that's the case, then i will have it done as I know that it is very involved in setting up he pinion/ring gear relationship. Thanks.

7. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

That won't get it set up correctly. The pinion bearings have to be properly preloaded by using a torque wrench. There's 2 different settings. One for new, and one for used bearings. If the noise appeared right after the seal replacement, then the preload is probably off. That reading is to be taken with the diff case out of the housing.

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Probably too loose. Try tightening to 150lb/ft and check again. If you didn't drive it for too long with the wine, you might be lucky.

If not, you keep the wine even with new bearings.

9. Dan M

Dan M Member

Camaro71/Holland...150 ft-lb??? That seems awful high. I've done some research and I've seen values of 8-15 INCH-lb.

Vettenick...I will probably just bring it to a shop and have that done. That's way beyond my skill set! Thanks.

10. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

It shouldn't be. What he was referring to was actually tightening the pinion nut to 150 to crush the spacer on the pinion, then using an inch pound torque wrench to measure how much torque it takes to rotate the pinion. Make sure the case is out, and after tightening, rotate the pinion a few times before measuring. If you feel uncomfortable, considering what damage can occur, then take it to someone who knows. Hope it works out!