Hubcentric rings are required!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Rayden2009, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

Hello everyone, If you have aftermarket rims, hubcentric rings are a must if you take your car above 60 MPH. There seems to be confusion out there as to whether these rings do anything. My rim supplier even told me not to use them, as the rims are lug centric. Im telling you now that they absolutely make a difference. I had high speed vibration that I have been chasing, and put these rings on as a last resort. The vibration is gone! I can even feel the car is more “solid” at low speeds. If you have aftermarket rims and a slight annoying vibration while driving at highway speed or above, do yourself a favour and order a set of rings. You wont be disappointed. Best $30 I ever spent.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Hubcentric wheels or rings are desirable but not required if the wheel tolerances are good from the manufacturer. The Second Gen Z28 steel wheel is not hubcentric and has worked well for over 50 years. The problem arises if the manufacturer isn't keeping good tolerances in manufacturing, or is measuring things in metric instead of SAE. It comes down to quality of the wheel.
    A non-hubcentric wheel is more prone to damage at the lug holes if they aren't fully tightened or the lug nuts don't fit correctly. Again, it comes down to quality control and proper installation of the wheel. The Z28 steel wheel is quite prone to that kind of damage that leaves them with wallowed out lug holes.

3. Rayden2009

My original z rims had oblong holes after 30 years of use. I had major vibration from the driveshaft at the time so its impossible for me to know if the originals vibrated or not. Im a fan of hub rings now and will use them going forward regardless. My car is silky smooth now through all speeds.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you just put a bandaid on the problem. Like Gary said, these are lug centric, not hub. My vibration issue went away when I replaced the old 5 spoke Z-28 wheels with new Boss 338's. I liked them but they were simply wore out.

5. Rayden2009

My rims are aftermarket, not stock. Im okay with the bandaid - my car drives way better.

berg2695 likes this.
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nothing band aid about hub centric rings

dcozzi and dave@ztech like this.
  7. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've found the best Lug Nuts for the 5 spoke Z28 wheels are the bulge ones with the wide 60 degree taper, and a torque wrench. The ones with the narrow taper that meets the wheel.....one tire guy with an air gun, can waste all the lug nut holes.
    [​IMG]

8. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I've had old school Unilug wheels over 100 mph many times

never died

9. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

what are they?

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I think those are the wheels with oblong holes that use offset washers to match various bolt circles on different make cars.