Hudson Valley Machine Shops? Trans Shops?

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by ColdBastrd, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Hey guys. I need an engine block gone through. Just standard cleaning, cam bearings, etc. and also the heads redone. I'm working on an original engine to my car which is hard to come by these days so I want to rebuild what I have. Nothing wild, just a basic build.....I have enough go fast cars.

Can anyone suggest a decent machine shop in or around the Hudson Valley area who WON'T screw up my block/heads and won't charge me my first born?

Also, how about a trans shop? THM350, have a kit to rebuild it, just need someone to do it. It's an original piece as well.

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you are willing to go into Queens (Long island city) I would recommend CK Performance to do the trans..

Don't know any machine shops.. I know there is someone around Middletown.. But can't remember the name.. You can try contacting the guys @ Behrent's.. http://www.behrents.com/
    It is a speed shop ( mini summit/jegs) in Florida, NY.. They deal a lot with circle/dirt track racing and stuff and they had told me about the guy.. I'm sure they can recommend someone. Almost all of the employees race.

3. ColdBastrd

Florida is like 2 towns over from me...how did I never hear of them? I guess cause they are dirt track guys. I'll go talk to them. Thanks for the lead. I have machine shop names out of the phone book but who knows how good anyone is by looking at the phone book. I know Headmasters down in Saddle Brook does good work but they want to just do a head exchange or it would be more $$$ to rebuild what I have. I want to keep the engine all together as it was originally built. Stupid probably as I'm not exactly building a councourse car but I figured if it made it this far on all it's original hardware, it should stay together.

I'll look around more local on the trans but thanks. $1500 to build a trans! YIKES! I don't need something that hairy and certainly not that expensive.

4. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This guy's in NJ.
    He built my engine in 96, when he had a small shop.
    Very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with.
    If I have any machine work to be done in the future, I will go to him.

http://promotionengines.com/

5. ColdBastrd

Ah thank you! I'll have to check him out. Hope he's not to pricey. Thanks!

6. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I work for a machine shop in Woburn (Boston) but, it's more aerospace driven.

7. mcrrt

mcrrt Veteran Member

Keller's Machine Shop, Salisbury Mills. Looks like a dive but they are honest and the best in the area.

8. ColdBastrd

You know, that's funny. A guy I asked at work who lives up my way said Salisbury Mills but he couldn't remember the name of the shop and he said it was sooooo long since he's been there, he doesn't think they are around anymore. He said they did some of the best engine work around. I'll have to shoot this name past him. Thanks

9. mcrrt

mcrrt Veteran Member

They are on Orrs Mills Road between Clove Road and Route 94, right around the corner from Loughran's.

10. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

CB there's a great machine shop in Highland and another in Stone Ridge