Humming noise/vibration same rpm any gear HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by bigblock665, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

79 Camaro, 355 vortec headed engine th350 trans with shift improver kit and 2.41 gears.

If I'm cruising in second or third gear i get a humming noise and gets louder with more load. (Accel/hills) kinda hear it on deceleration but faintly.

The humming noise is at EXACTLY 2200 rpm in every gear. 2nd gear 2200rpm 50 mph and 3rd gear 2200rpm 70 mph I get the humming noise.

Seems the noise is totally dependent on load and rpm and NOT ground speed. So that would rule out the rear and drive shaft.

In park or neutral holding the rpm at 2200 no noise. So that rules out the engine and accessories.

Could it be the pump in the front of the trans? Shifts and operates correctly just have this noise. Put 10,000 mi on the car this season and just a week ago got the hum.

The trans has a small leak at the input shaft seal but always has a little and never had this sound before. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Joe.

2. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

The best way I can describe the sound is like a cross between a dry bearing and the sound a carb makes when you open the secondaries.

Like a "bwoooooaaaa" not a buzz or a wine, more of a drone or a hum. Actually sounded so close to secondsries opening prematurely that was the first thing I checked. No dice...

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like a torque converter. Just for S&G's, drop the inspection cover and take a look for anything out of the ordinary, and make sure the bolts are tight. Most noises I've had like that will manifest themselves to a point of no doubt where there coming from.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Something in front of the engine... Power steering pump, water pump, alternator?

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Definitely engine related. You say it gets louder under load, so that is why you aren't hearing it by just spinning the engine in neutral.

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Maybe exhaust rubbing on something?