hyd vs solid roller

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by HULKZ28, Apr 26, 2009.

1. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

I thought it was time to freshen up this discussion on using a solid roller in a street driven car..
    I get some varying opinions here and really dont want to destroy my motor because of a bad cam choice...Id sell the solid kit to offset the cost of a hyd roller if need be.
    Is a hyd roller easier on parts??I think ill be in the high 500s on lift mabey 570..With the option to run 1.6 rockers to up my cam size a bit , later on..Duration will probably be around [email protected] with a 108 lsa mabey 106..
    thanks

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hydraulic roller is the way to go on the street, as many have said. The maximum amount of lift you can go with will be determined by your head/spring combo, but remember that bigger is not always better on a street driven engine. Lastly; why 1.6 rockers? Just buy the correct cam. IMHO

3. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Hulk, if I remember right you have very close to the same engine combo as myself. 10.5:1 compression, vortec heads, bla, bla, bla... My engine has no issues buring the tires cruising in 2nd gear to a WOT.

I currently am using the cam below (I know flat tappet) but it has been a great performance piece without the costs of a roller. Just something to consider.

[​IMG]

4. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

My 355 runs very good with the solid I have in it, im done with that motor....This new cam will be going into a 422 that is in the build process now...I will be getting heads in the 220-230 range for it..im looking for massive torque,

5. LILRED496

LILRED496 Veteran Member

You said you not gonna spin it past 6000 so a hydraulic roller would be your best bet.
    I have a hydraulic roller in my 496 and spin it up to 6300 sometimes.
    Ive had the 496 running for two years now I have enough miles on it that I would probably be thinking of replacing my lifters if they were solids.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Replace them.

7. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

well above all said. Unless the car were a strip only car and I wanted to go roller, I would deffinately be going to hydro for a street setup. For a strip I would deffinately go solid.

8. LILRED496

LILRED496 Veteran Member

Replace what? My hydraulic lifters?

9. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

Install a REV kit and get a little more RPM out of them... You'll be able to pull double duty with ease...

10. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Use the correct springs, a "rev kit" is unnecessary.
    My HYD Roller sees its 6500 through the lights without a missed beat.

Solid will still be a lighter lifter and a more aggressive cam lobe, unless you can get a street series of Solid roller cam with a calmer lobe like a HYD roller cam has. The HYD Roller cam is still way more aggressive than a flat tappet HYD cam which why they work so well with having 10ยบ less DUR at 0.050" lift vs a FT HYD cam.