I got a spare tire...

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
No, not THAT spare tire. (Ok, I have one of those too!) Thanks to an old thread on here I knew to look for a compact spare from an old S-10 type vehicle. I got lucky at the junk yard and found one from a 97 GMC Jimmy. I can report that it does fit perfectly with a 5 on 4.75" bolt circle. Of course I will replace the quarter century old tire with a new one (T155/90-16, about 27" diam.) In my neck of the woods, DISCOUNT TIRE has the best deal on a replacement: $69 (Kumho). I needed to get a spare so I can see how much room will be available for a trunk mounted battery.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Might double check that size. Our 01 Blazer has 15 inch wheels. Jimmy might be different. And some of the newer stuff does have a bit smaller hub center too.

72'z'steve

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2000
waukesha wi usa
^^^^X2 on size.Compact spare[donut?] - not a full size type? never saw one for a s-type truck? If the rim is from a 4x4 the backspacing is almost flat may not play well with the camaros depth.I got a set of 2wd s-10 wheels and tires for free from a co-worker put them on my old '95 4x4 blazer and they stuck out like those goofy ricer cars the 'utes drive :rolleyes:.-Discount has been my go to guys but have gone overboard with the pandemic-lock you out of the lobby??? 3 days to repair a flat?? Sadly I think the next set I'll get from a LOCAL owned tire shop [they repaired my tire while I waited when DT told me 3 days]-YIKES Later Steve!!

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
It should be a 16". Since the "real" tires on the S10 were 15", and the donut replacement is a much smaller tire, they increased the rim size to make it closer to the real tires. The early 80s B body cars also have a 16" donut as a spare to replace the 15" real tires on the car.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I would love to find a compact spare for my Camaro. Right now I don't have any. The regular color keyed 15 x7 five spokes are the wheels

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Most of the 80s Caprices and Impalas had compact spare. Many of them are dual bolt pattern. They have the 4.75" pattern that the Camaro needs, and also the 5" bolt pattern used on Police and Taxi Caprices. The other GM B body cars likely also have the same spare. If you have a local junkyard, look in the trunks of these cars for the spare you want.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
So I'm getting a regular old 14 x 6 steel wheel and putting on and balancing a new 215-70-14 to give me my 26 inch spare. Total of about $ 120.00
I'm sometimes too far from the house with this car to take a chance on this space saver donut deal. We were in Daytona recently with the Camaro and that's a totally different deal than just going out of the garage and around the block and to car shows

I found plenty of old space saver ones that would fit...but wouldn't even think about using them without buying a new tire for it. The costs of it would be stupid to pay for the limited speed and miles I could use it for if I had too.

Last edited:

Latest posts