I guess i expect too much

1934chevycoupe

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2013
Harleysville, Pa
Decided to go ahead and order preformed stainless brake lines. Was going to just get the front and rear, and reuse the original front to back, so went ahead and welded in my frame connectors. Son talked me into to getting all, so it'll just more difficult getting that front to rear in.

Anyway, get them in, and the rear isn't going to work for me. Running a Ford 9", so will have to custom make my own rears. Deciding where to get line and the stainless tube nuts and gravel guard, and just for the hell of it, i check and find out the preformed stainless lines have steel tube nuts on them. The whole idea of stainless lines is not having to worry about rust. Why wouldn't you use stainless tube nuts. Does this make sense to anyone? Am i expecting too much? Am i missing something here, like stainless against stainless is bad?

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
I get your gripe, I’d think they should be but mine weren’t also, think they were aluminum not steel. Sold the car but a quick hit of clear spray paint abades rust for a good bit

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
Decided to go ahead and order preformed stainless brake lines. Was going to just get the front and rear, and reuse the original front to back, so went ahead and welded in my frame connectors. Son talked me into to getting all, so it'll just more difficult getting that front to rear in.

Anyway, get them in, and the rear isn't going to work for me. Running a Ford 9", so will have to custom make my own rears. Deciding where to get line and the stainless tube nuts and gravel guard, and just for the hell of it, i check and find out the preformed stainless lines have steel tube nuts on them. The whole idea of stainless lines is not having to worry about rust. Why wouldn't you use stainless tube nuts. Does this make sense to anyone? Am i expecting too much? Am i missing something here, like stainless against stainless is bad?
I would call the company and complain about that.

1934chevycoupe

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2013
Harleysville, Pa
I get your gripe, I’d think they should be but mine weren’t also, think they were aluminum not steel. Sold the car but a quick hit of clear spray paint abades rust for a good bit
i was thinking about that idea. i don't see it getting out in the rain, but you never know you might get caught in it.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
They all make them like that.I guess the stainless would be too brittle over time as a flare nut.I had inline tube make the first set for my 96 K2500 years ago,and they didnt put the dry film on them.And I wasnt antiseizing anything back then.
I do now,lol.All that pipe where it touches the nut now.

RS79

May 21, 2001
Blandford Ma.
Reminds me of when I bought my 2001 Blazer new, one thing that drew me to it was a "Stainless Steel" Exhaust System. Problem is all the fasteners and hangers are plain carbon steel.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Reminds me of when I bought my 2001 Blazer new, one thing that drew me to it was a "Stainless Steel" Exhaust System. Problem is all the fasteners and hangers are plain carbon steel.
There are different grades of SS. Most mfg’s use 410ss which rusts almost as much as mild steel. It’s a marketing gimmick to get people to think they are buying quality anti-rusting parts. If it doesn’t specify 304 or 316 than it’s probably the cheap junk.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
There are different grades of SS. Most mfg’s use 410ss which rusts almost as much as mild steel. It’s a marketing gimmick to get people to think they are buying quality anti-rusting parts. If it doesn’t specify 304 or 316 than it’s probably the cheap junk.
Yeah,Summitracing got me on a length of exhaust I bought from them.Started rusting in my shop.Called in,tech said there was enough of whatever to "legally" call it stainless.I said,that's no way to do business,especially here.

RS79

May 21, 2001
Blandford Ma.
Well they must of used a pretty good grade of stainless for this "marketing gimmick" because after 20 years of New England winters the only exhaust component I have had to replace was a hanger and some fasteners at the converter flange.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
There is more to stainless steel than just the words "stainless steel". There are many grades. The T3xx grades are what most people think of as stainless steel, but the T4xx cheaper grades have a lot of value for exhaust and fuel lines on cars. I have always believed that the fuel lines on our old cars are some version of T4xx stainless as they easily last 50 years with minimum rust issues. I put a cheaper T409 exhaust system on my Camaro decades ago and it still is rust free.

https://continentalsteel.com/stainless-steel/grades/

Latest posts