I hate dealing with customer service.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by TDPalmer, Sep 11, 2012.

1. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had my power steering gear box replaced, and my mechanic said it was defective. I bought it from Autozone, so I went and bought another to warranty out. My mechanic was going to charge me to put the new one on and to replace the defective one I had just bought. He told me that Autozone should be able to reimburse me for the labor. I call Autozone and the first thing the guy does is raise his voice at me telling me that they do not and will not reimburse for labor charges as the mechanic could have put the part on wrong. So I get on Autozone's website and find where it specifically says they will handle the paperwork to reimburse your warranty in 48 hours.

I call back to Autozone and ask the same question and receive the same answer I tell them that it says on their website that they will reimburse me. They again tell me they do not do that.

I call a third time and ask to speak with a manager, I finally get told that they actually do warranty labor claims and that all I need to do is bring my receipt and the defective part.

I mean do companies not train their employees on their policies? I hate having to call a place 3 different times when it says plainly on their website that they offer a particular service. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: /endrant.

2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tell the manager the name of the employee who doesn't know the company policy. The employee either doesn't know or is a jack a$$.
    Good deal on your part to find the correct answer.

3. parts_master1

parts_master1 Veteran Member

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not no
    TD don't get too upset, most parts companies do not pay labor to retail customers. Most shops absorb the cost for warranty replacements through their overall mark up. They charge more for the parts to pay overhead costs and to absorb the ocasional warranty repair.

The gear box you purchased was probably rebuilt by cardone IND. they are the largest in the aftermarket and do sometimes have defective units off the shelf but the rate is not all that high. Did the mechanic flush/replace the lines and clean the pump resevior? It is possible that trash from the inside of the hose/pump comes loose and glogs a valve ETC. What did the mechanic say was wrong with the forst replacement?

You also have to remember that people who know parts and customer service are becoming more and more rare. Think about some of the service you get from other places you shop. I do not work for Zone and do not shop there but bad service and or employees that don;t know anything are not exclusive to Autozone, it's just the world we live in. Sometimes you do luck out though and find a good parts guy who cares about your business.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Never heard of Autozone reimbursing labor. I looked it up, only find it on Autozonepro.com for commercial customers. ??

5. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I asked the surpreme manager I talked to about it. He said I bring in the defective part, bring in a copy of the recipet and they will reimburse me in 48 hours, if it is ruled defective. He said 99% of the time it is. I feel like I am a commercial customer, in the past 2 years I have spent around $3,500+ and 2 crate motors at autozone according to all the recipets. This was the first problem I've ever had with them.

Parts master, I think it was a Cardone box. I have a new pump and lines on there with not even 100 miles on them, but I will be sure to ask him if he flushed the system. The mechanic did not specify what could be wrong, I took it down the road and it was very stiff to turn, brought it back and he got in it and tried to turn it and said: "it wasn't like this when I parked it" and told me it was just autozone quality part. I know it sounds sketchy but I've used this guy before in the past and he's really been good to me. He's not my usual mechanic but unless he's changed in the past year he's trustworthy.

6. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is your problem right there.

I have NEVER I repeat never had a Cardone part that worked right. From master cylinders to windshield wiper motors and distributors and smog pumps. They are complete junk as far as I am concerned.

I boycotted them after the windshield wiper motor I bought from them was wired wrong internally.

Never again, I have gave them more than one chance.

I truly hope you have years of trouble free use out of your steering box

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Please, if you have any further issues or problems getting this corrected let me know. I will need the names of who you talked to, and the store number. (phone and autozone store #) and if you would be so kind as to forward a copy of both receipts and the repair to me, I will make sure it's taken care of.

I am a manager at an autozone store and I will not, repeat will not stand for that. We sell a product and we stand behind the product that we sell. 100%.

You can pm me here, or email me at [email protected] or call me at 507-382-6165 with any questions or comments.

8. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Sorry...don't take offense, but my commercial customers spend nearly that much every week or two. :rolleyes:
    I work in commercial sales for another parts place. Retail doesn't offer any labor reimburstment. Defective exchanges are not a problem. Commercial customers can get a labor claim but only after the part is tested defective by us or manufacturer deems the part defective, this can take up to a few weeks. Even then, not ALL commercial customers qualify for labor claims.
    When I was a wrench in a shop, any part supplied by the customer got no labor warranty. Pay labor to R&R and if the part goes bad...pay again next time.

9. 79406RS

79406RS Veteran Member

Interesting thread. The Auto Zone here locally has messed up on my customer service so many times that I have totally boycotted the store.
    My experience with AZ goes like this...
    I walk in there, management/experienced help is nowhere to be found. Inexperienced young workers there that don't know much about a car, would be lost without the computer to do his knowlege, is there to "assist" me I stand there and wait and wait and wait for workers there to get off the phone....
    I remember back to a time when I had a discussion with a manager there about the whole AZ workers on the phone while customers are lined up waiting. He in turn told me that "AZ inc dictates that workers answer that phone ASAP because that caller is more than likely calling to spend high $$$ in the store". I in turn told him "I AM that customer that is there to spend high dollars in their store!"
    In retrospect, that was the event that made me walk out the door to never return.
    I'm sure that other AZ stores are much better in customer service and have qualified help there that actually knows more than what a gas cap is.
    NAPA or Car Quest is where I shop. Oh, and 1 800 230 3030

10. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

... or maybe they were doing as trained. Denying you so that you'd hopefully go away. Much fewer people will keep volleying the system until they 'win' I'd bet.
    Not saying that's the case, or that there's proof of that... just how I think sometimes.