I hate electrical!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 81Midnight, May 29, 2010.

1. 81Midnight

81Midnight Veteran Member

My car won't crank at all now. When in accessory position, fan, radio, lights, everything works fine. When I turn the key to crank, nothing happens. The starter is fine, and the car has been driven regularly, but the battery has a slow drain, and it died. So I tried jumping it, but now the engine wont even attempt to crank. What could be the cause of this? Thanks

Jake

2. IDLZRUF

IDLZRUF Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check for a drain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZbU5o&feature=related

What I do is Ill set my meter up and then pull one fuse at a time.Till I stop the drain then I have narrowed down my search.

Could be bad ground, bad battery, loose cables.
    If the battery is to low a jumpstart wont be sufficient.
    Hope this helps.

3. ozchevy

ozchevy Veteran Member

LOL

"I hate Electrical"

Personally - I made a career out of it, and I love it. (but only when it doesn't bite me)

Your problem is related to dead battery cells, and even though you may have tried jump starting with a good or even reasonable battery, I'm pretty sure your computer will have picked up on the low cranking current. This safe guards the starting circuit from burn-out.
    Best get a new heavy duty battery, and be done with it.

4. 81Midnight

I do believe I have a drain, but don't have much of a way to figure out where it's coming from, because I don't have a meter. Is there another way to try and find what it is that's draining my battery? And once I do happen to find the fuse that stops the problem, how do I go about fixing the drain, like if it was a fan, light, or radio?

Well, once I got the car jumped, which took a few tries, it would run fine once I got it warmed up. But when I unhooked the jumper cables, the car would die immediately. I cleaned my connections to the battery and made sure they were secure, and then after that is when my key wouldn't get the car to crank. Also, I don't have the computer in there anymore, I did away with it when I installed this drivetrain.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm trying to figure it out.

Jake

5. 81Midnight

Ok, I got it figured out, but now a new problem has popped up. I changed the water in the battery and charged it, the car had plenty of voltage but still wouldn't crank. I tapped on the column around the ignition switch with a wrench and it cranked right up. But now the engine runs on after I turn the key to off and then shuts down after a few seconds. Is this reason to believe that the ignition switch is bad? Or could it be something else? thanks

Jake

6. steve_1978

steve_1978 Veteran Member

you did WHAT to the battery? sounds like a starter switch problem, but the actual electrical part of the switch is at the bottom of the collum near the fire wall, maby check your connections down thare

7. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My camaro wouldnt crank either until I changed the ignition switch on the column, pretty quick and easy. I think I picked it up for like 15 bucks and autozone.