I just came home to a flooded garage (wet floor anyway)

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Any one have recomendation for a good brand on a water heater. Not real impressed with this Bradford White POS that came with the house.

sprink

Veteran Member
Apr 27, 2008
ffx, va
We use A.O. Smith. One from a plumbing supply house may be a little better than a box store. Brass drain vs. plastic.
If you ever run out of HW, get a 50 gallon. If you have room. Not much more $.
Most are putting in a thermal expansion tank also.
Easy to throw a pan under while doing it. Either pipe it to floor drain or cap pan and add a water alarm.

djorgensen3

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2009
Peoria, Az
Wow...I just replaced ours 2 days ago. It decided to spew during that big storm we had. It always happens when you're away or at night or the night before vacation. We just bought a $600 gas one from Home Depot. The last one was a Rheem and it lasted 9 years.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
We use A.O. Smith. One from a plumbing supply house may be a little better than a box store. Brass drain vs. plastic.
If you ever run out of HW, get a 50 gallon. If you have room. Not much more $.
Most are putting in a thermal expansion tank also.
Easy to throw a pan under while doing it. Either pipe it to floor drain or cap pan and add a water alarm.
By code it has the pan already with a drain tube routing it to run out the front of the garage door. The "blow off" (if that's the right word) is plumbed to the outside. No damage at all here other then the case of oil I had getting a wet box. Just not the best time for the expenses and I've never done one. I guess it's time to learn LOL.

Wow...I just replaced ours 2 days ago. It decided to spew during that big storm we had. It always happens when you're away or at night or the night before vacation. We just bought a $600 gas one from Home Depot. The last one was a Rheem and it lasted 9 years.
Well since you're experienced I'll see you around 7 AM tomorrow LOL.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The only "good" water heaters I've seen are the ones made in the 1950s. Since then, the tanks are made too thin and probably from poor quality metal so they don't last anymore like the old ones did.
I don't believe it matters what brand you buy today. They all have short lives.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I'll second the expansion tank. Most (all?) water meters have a non-return valve and as the water heats it expands and pressure can go way up. The T&P valve is a 150 psi safety, that's a lot of pressure on an old tank and modern plumbing materials. And a bottom blow off every year makes a big difference too. We (family) get 15 to 20 years out of a tank. And I'll second Gary's post, could be the same company builds most box store's tanks with different labels.

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
my rheem marathon just went past its 21st year a month ago,havent touched it,was 4 kids at home, through all that and still going.i shouldnt have read this thread, now it has me thinking?? also cant remember if i messed with the anode rod when i installed it?? damn, knock on wood.

Last edited:

Latest posts