I need a tilt column, but from where?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by spinedoc, Jan 13, 2021.

1. spinedoc

spinedoc Veteran Member

Hello,
    I would like to put a tilt column in my 70. I don't see a lot of factory ones out there, and they usually need some work. What are you guys doing when you need a new column? Ididit, Flaming River, rebuilt? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you, Eric

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

If you can find one from a 1970 1/2-81 Camaro /Firebird and possibly from a 1975-9 Nova And rebuild them I see kits from Amazon and Summit for around 38.00 And even Check Chevrolet / General Motors.Its not hard to do.

3. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

ocautosteeringcolumns website was reasonable sounding. I was going to buy a rebuilt tilt one from them before I decided to just rebuild my standard column and put that money elsewhere. It was referred to me by another member a while back when I was on the fence.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Ididit?

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I found a factory one on eBay for $125.00. Rebuilt it and painted for about $50.00 plus my labor.

6. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

It is more complicated than that. Basically, you have to use the correct intermediate shaft to match the steering column you select and the steering box you have as both changed over the years. Early columns use a splined connection to the intermediate shaft while 78-81 us a "double D" connection and a column mounted dimmer switch. 70-73 Camaros (or so) use a steering box with a larger spline and different intermediate shaft.

Since 78-81 tilt columns are much more common, that is what you will probably find and you will likely have to switch to a 78 and later intermediate shaft which will not fit your 70 steering box. So if a steering box upgrade is in your future, now is the time as most of the good steering boxes will easily bolt to the 78-81 intermediate shaft. To use the column mounted dimmer, you are going to have to do some pin swapping.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Neither my 78 or 80 had a column mounter dimmer switch.

That may have been a Firebird/Tran Am feature.

You’re correct on the intermediate shaft differences.

The neutral safety switch is designed differently for 79-81 too.
    (There’s only a reverse light switch on the column, under the dash.)

If you can get a column for the correct year, it will save some headaches.

Zee likes this.
  8. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Interesting. I assumed GM did not make a separate column just for the Firebird but I guess it did.

9. spinedoc

spinedoc Veteran Member

Thanks, I am not excited to try my hand at rebuilding one, but it may come to that. I thought all steering box connections were the same from 70-81?